Memphis 1400 EXPLORER Crash

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
WinPC

Re: Memphis 1400 EXPLORER Crash

Post by WinPC »

LoneCrusader wrote:
BettaFish1902 wrote:Windows 95, then Memphis 1400?
I don't do "Upgrade" installs unless there is no other option.
WinPC wrote:Are you sure that the problem isn't with the drivers? Sometimes, driver issues can create problems when installing or using any version of Windows 9x, especially on a real machine. I myself had a Windows 95 installation become unstable simply because of a video driver that was only partially compatible with the system's video adaptor.
No drivers have been installed other than those that come integrated into Memphis 1400. I can't boot to the Desktop in Normal or Safe Mode, so I haven't even tried to install anything yet.

Every other RTM or Beta Windows 9x version from 95C OSR2.5 to Windows ME runs fine on the machine in question. Only Build 1400 has some kind of problem, so it leads me to believe some file has a bug. The fact that using EXPLORER from 1411, 1415, 1423, 1387, 95 OSR2, and a 95 OSR2 HotFix do not solve the problem seems to indicate that the problem does not lie in EXPLORER itself, despite the fact that it is the file reported in the error.
It's still possible that even the default drivers are causing problems, that is, if they had changed between Build 1387 and Build 1400 itself, so I suggest extracting each driver file from Build 1411, just to see whether that fixes the problem (using "Step by Step Configuration" might also help to track down the culprit, if it was infact one of the drivers).

Still, if that doesn't work, then I would try installing Build 1411 first and then reinstalling to Build 1400 in a different directory, just to be able to continue replacing each file in Build 1400 with versions from Build 1411 until we can trace which files are actually causing these problems in the first place.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

I've found a workaround for this issue, just replace these files with 1411's:
advapi32.dll
ole32.dll (probably the most problematic one)
shlwapi.dll

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

TheCollector1988 wrote:I've found a workaround for this issue, just replace these files with 1411's:
advapi32.dll
ole32.dll (probably the most problematic one)
shlwapi.dll
Hmm.. I tried replacing those 3 files and it had no effect on the crash. Had you replaced anything else besides those?

(BTW, I have edited my last post in the other 1400 thread with some new info on the HSFLOP.PDR issue we discussed there.)