Microsoft SideShow

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Lucas Brooks

Microsoft SideShow

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I have this thing from WiNBETA and I am unsure whether it came from Microsoft or it is just a home made program. Most of the files were modified so the version information tells nothing. WinBETA was also in the about box.

MCpillager12

Re: Microsoft SideShow

Post by MCpillager12 »

Can you please post some screenies?

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24191

The link is dead. I found it while cleaning up my hard drive.
Download here: https://mega.nz/#!ZFdVHaCB!SqD2RnolGyij ... DaoMJlWktA

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

ComputerHunter wrote:I have this thing from WiNBETA and I am unsure whether it came from Microsoft or it is just a home made program. Most of the files were modified so the version information tells nothing. WinBETA was also in the about box.
looks like it was homemade,maybe from something in longhorn.

ImageImageImageImageImage

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

its not home made
its early version of sidebar

and very appreciated leak

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Seems the modern education system doesn't teach basic research methodology anymore...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SideShow

And the installer is homemade, the tech is not.

I still have a laptop with the tech with some software to control the LCD display. Fun stuff, too bad OEMs didn't catch on.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

>mrpijey

Is it that asus w5fe or something? I remember reading about that laptop and how strange yet intuitive the sideshow thingy on the back was.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Computerhunter, thank you for sharing!
mrpijey wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SideShow
And the installer is homemade, the tech is not.
I still have a laptop with the tech with some software to control the LCD display. Fun stuff, too bad OEMs didn't catch on.
MS confusingly had 2 different projects called Sideshow: the first being a sidebar built for 2000/XP which eventually evolved into the Vista Sidebar, and the second is a Vista framework for small secondary displays usually attached to the host computer.
The linked Wikipedia page only describes the second project, not the first.
For more info on the original sideshow, see https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24191
MCpillager12 wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:>mrpijey
Is it that asus w5fe or something? I remember reading about that laptop and how strange yet intuitive the sideshow thingy on the back was.
What are you talking about?
The Asus W5FE was just one of several PCs to include one of these secondary displays.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Was this an actual leak of a beta add-on? I remember trying this years ago and it doesn't work that well on Windows 10. MrBurgerKing, the link you posted is the same as mine.

It would be nice to find one with the original installer but highly unlikely.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

MrBurgerKing wrote: MS confusingly had 2 different projects called Sideshow: the first being a sidebar built for 2000/XP which eventually evolved into the Vista Sidebar, and the second is a Vista framework for small secondary displays usually attached to the host computer.
The linked Wikipedia page only describes the second project, not the first.
For more info on the original sideshow, see https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24191
Ah, well that was confusing, didn't know it had to do with the sidebar as well. Maybe they could technically still be the same, as the sidebar was meant to interact with the extra display as well. The LG Z1 I have could show the same info on the sidebar as on the LCD, and I could control everything from the sidebar. So I guess MS perhaps meant that the LCD component would be an extension of the software sidebar.... just guessing here, but not far fetched since both of them had similar features and use.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Sim31

Post by Sim31 »

Oh this is like a trip down memory lane, I forgot all about this but I remember it very well. That old topic Computer Hunter linked to (above) has most of the info about it but when WinBeta leaked it out, I played with it for alittle while, its very basic but it was the start of the Longhorn Sidebar development. I also believe this was linked over to the old research.microsoft.com when it was still available. ReflectiaX was part of the Longhorn leaks and other leaks back then and he was friends with many over at WinBeta.org.

Shortly after this was released, I also remember a developer by the username "Danny Smurf" that posted in the forums over at either Neowin.net or ieXbeta one day and he was looking for beta testers, he was developing a program called "Codename: Dashboard" which resembled this somewhat but with a more stylish visual aspect and more customization. In a couple of his versions, my name was listed in the "About" dialog box. This was around the 2002 era.

siberia12437

Post by siberia12437 »

From my point of view, the idea of ​​integrating Windows Sideshow with an external display was a very good one.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, this did not catch on. Although some devices in circulation warn.

The Asus w5fe seemed to have sold quite well as a notebook. Mine is next to me and I'm still working with him. Of course, the battery went haywire and the old hard drive was replaced with an SSD many years ago. But in the end everything goes as it wants.

There is a great report on Youtube where two developers talk and show a lot about it.

What fascinates me are the parts that still existed. So away from the notebooks but e.g. text displays like in the G15, G13, the loudspeaker from Logitech and in the report on Youtube they have a lot more.

Including e.g. remote conditions with Windows Sideshow Gadgets. That's awesome! How practical that must have been back then. Albeit, of course, price-intensive at that time.

Unfortunately that's over. Hardly anyone has the hardware anymore, at least those with the external displays.

I miss that. Even if, of course, I've gone a long way with time.

But I've been through a lot. The UMPC time was particularly nice. Something like the HTC Shift oh yes... one computer two different processors and platforms!