Media Player in Longhorn 4093

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Emir214

Media Player in Longhorn 4093

Post by Emir214 »

Well, this was a pleasant Christmas surprise. The Windows Media Player version that came with the infamously unstable pre-reset build 4093 (MXplayer.exe) actually works. (Compare this with the same MXplayer.exe in 4066. This application was earlier known as floatingPlayer.exe. See this video on build 4042.)

1. But it only played the Sample Music files ("Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (Scherzo)" and "New Stories (Highway Blues)", both *.wma files).

2. It refused to play my *.mp3 files.

3. The volume slider works. So does the visualization.

4. The Eject button attempts to eject my USB storage device.

5. Right-clicking anywhere in the Player leads to this context menu.

6. Clicking "Slide Show" allows you to choose the folder from where to get the pictures.

Note the lack of visualizations. When I initially clicked the "Slide Show" option and set the folder, I caused the Player to quit. This is the second attempt.

7. Clicking "OK" leads to this error.

The error code is:

Code: Select all

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name 'Microsoft.Windows.Photos', or one of its dependencies, was not found.
File name: 'Microsoft.Windows.Photos'
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Boolean stringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
   at System.Windows.Media.UX.Controls.SlideShowViewer.CreateSlideShowObject(MediaEngine mediaEngine, TimelineMediaSource tms)
   at System.Windows.Media.UX.Controls.SlideShowViewer.Initialize()
   at System.Windows.Media.UX.PlaybackControl.System.Windows.Media.UX.ThreadUtils.IUpdateUI.UpdateUI(Object arg)
   at System.Threading.UIContextOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Threading.UIContext.ExecuteOperation(UIContextOperation operation)
   at System.Threading.UIContext.WrappedDoWork(UIContextOperation operation)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

----------------------------------------
To enable just-in-time debugging (instead of this dialog box),
please set the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework]
"DbgJITDebugWindowsBase"=dword:00000001
8. Clicking "Go to music library" on the context menu (see item #3) leads to the "My Music" folder.

9. The Player comes with these visualizations.

10. This screenshot shows nothing, but the "Spikes" visualization appears on screen as a red pulsating circle.

11. The Bars visualization works and can be screen-captured.

12. Clicking "Switch to Sidebar Player" (see item #3) restarts Explorer, with the Windows Media Player Tile now on the Sidebar. The tile works as long as it plays either Beethoven or New Stories.

However, clicking "Switch to Desktop Player" does not restore the desktop player.

13. Shown is the "View Options" context menu and the other available parts of the Player.

14. Set Playback Rate works.

15. Go to Skin Mode (see context menu in items 3 or 14) does not work.

The error code reads:

Code: Select all

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified.
   at System.Windows.Explorer.Item..ctor(String path)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaUX.MediaUXClientUtil.Create(PlaybackSession session, Mode mode)
   at System.Windows.Media.UX.PlayerClient.System.Windows.Media.UX.IPlaybackControlHelper.DoSkinMode()
   at System.Windows.Media.UX.MenuItem.MenuItem_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.Events.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlers(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.Events.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlers(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInputCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Threading.UIContextOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Threading.UIContext.ExecuteOperation(UIContextOperation operation)
   at System.Threading.UIContext.WrappedDoWork(UIContextOperation operation)

To enable just-in-time debugging (instead of this dialog box),
please set the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework]
"DbgJITDebugWindowsBase"=dword:00000001
16. Killing MxPlayer.exe at Task Manager and reopening it leads to a Player that plays nothing.

beta.a.brian

Re: Media Player in Longhorn 4093

Post by beta.a.brian »

Did you try other .wma files?
#8032forbrian came true

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

beta.a.brian wrote:Did you try other .wma files?
I did not, unfortunately, since I had no other .wma files.

Apparently, an earlier version of this Media Player worked in build 4011, playing the same files I played. Whether there is a full player/desktop player like in 4093, I do not know. Here is Sergey Tkachenko's video from 2010:

ZhengXiaoAi

Post by ZhengXiaoAi »

It's beta version you know...So don't be surprised at the bugs.
I apologize for my grammatical error if it exists, because English is not my primary language.
Nothing happen so far,'cause who wants to get burned by the ice? ------ Colder Than Ice by Grant Miller

DreamIsland

Post by DreamIsland »

I'm unsure if the Media Player was restarted sometime after 4011. Because 4011's Media Player is more stable than 4093's. Even the sidebar version is buggy in 4093.