Question: Longhorn 4079 - WinFS Storage fold. in my computer

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
leonbollerup
Donator

Question: Longhorn 4079 - WinFS Storage fold. in my computer

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you know how howto change the action/url/link of the storage folders shown in "My Computer"

Eg. Contacts points to "@%windir%\Assembly\GAC_32\system.windows.contacts.interop\6.0.3708.0__a29c01bbd4e39ac5\system.windows.contacts.interop.dll,-1301"

While, it could be nice to change it to :

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" outlook:Contacts

Any suggestions ?

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

Ummm...4079?

leonbollerup
Donator

£@€£@€$€@!! .. 4074.. sorry

Post by leonbollerup »

£@€£@€$€@!! .. 4074.. sorry

sevan

Post by sevan »

Not sure if that is possible.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

1. why is it so hard to difference beetween 4079 and 4074 for some people?

2. im sorry, i dont know a solution

leonbollerup
Donator

typos happend..

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

its a typo.. it happends...

Namronia

Re: typos happend..

Post by Namronia »

leonbollerup wrote:Hi,

its a typo.. it happends...
It wasnt meant bad, i think nobody is angry on you, please dont missunderstand

Its just that as good as everybody does that here and.. yeah, i know its just a typo, sorry if i sounded rude

Smartie77

Re: Question: Longhorn 4079 - WinFS Storage fold. in my comp

Post by Smartie77 »

leonbollerup wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if any of you know how howto change the action/url/link of the storage folders shown in "My Computer"

Eg. Contacts points to "@%windir%\Assembly\GAC_32\system.windows.contacts.interop\6.0.3708.0__a29c01bbd4e39ac5\system.windows.contacts.interop.dll,-1301"

While, it could be nice to change it to :

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" outlook:Contacts

Any suggestions ?
Just turn on the WinFS services and that folder ( plus the other special "storage" folders ) will in fact work as it was meant to be.

WinFS on 4074 is a bit slow and memory consuming, but it is working.
Only MS has forgotten to turn on a service as default:

Right after a stock setup of 4074 you will only need to enable one service and that is the one with Sam.. in its name -> et voila : a working contacts,photo & video,games,.. folder.

If you want to see how WinFS acts it in a more suitable ( and really 99% bugfree ) way, then you should have a look at builds 4051 or 4053, it works right out of the box.

The technic behind is the following /b]

Those folders are in fact symbolic links / virtual folders and they have no content.. The content is located in a "pool" which is "defaultstore".

( the assembly you named is just the "hook" in the Filesystem store )

Everyhing you copy into defaultstore is accesible via those folders, they filter the defaultstore automatically for filetypes.

So to say if WinFS finds 4 jpgs and 3 mp3s - all in the same place, WinFS automatically puts links to the mp3s inside the virtual Music folder and links to the jpg inside the "Photo and Video" .. and so on.

Outlook Express "7" in LH also makes use of WinFS, all your emails are accesible from within the contacts folder, if you click a person and select "show communication history".

( if you disable WinFS in Longhorn, you break Outlook Express . )

A lot of people run Loghorn with WinFS disabled for performance reasons, but really you should at least play a day with those features, because that was a main pillar of how revolutionary Longhorn was.

Again, 405x has it working - 4074 can .. but not as nice as the former.

WinFS is technically SQL server, running behind the scenes, indexing and collecting all your information ( it was planned that the final product would not only "know" the contents in the defaultstore, but the complete harddisk, so that you could have put your docs,mails,pics,mp3s wherever you wanted on the disk,- no matter where, they would always show up inside the special folders, regardless how messed up the HD was or where the "real" files were located.

WinFS feature is one main reason for me to still research on Longhorn, if it works it is just amazing, you can not only browse the defaultstore, you can search in realtime, for example starting in C:\Windows Folder and you type in that searchbox Expl (for Explorer) you can instantly see how the content is filtered for all files containg what you just typed..

The ever-running index service in Vista is what is left.. a shame.

leonbollerup
Donator

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

Thank you for clarifying, except.. i turned of WinFS on purpose, alltho that winfs is a great feature .. no doubt there.. its realy still to heavy for my "personal" laptop.

So if anyone know howto to alter or remove them., please let me know.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Wow, thanks for clearing all of WinFS up. I didn't know some of that XD

Anyway, Your MSN address is incomplete in your profile