About ME, Neptune Betas.

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
goingawaytomatt

About ME, Neptune Betas.

Post by goingawaytomatt »

Windows Neptune:AFAIK Had an activity center nothing more than that, I suppose that more things were added after 5111.

Windows ME: System restore, Movie maker and a crappy activity center.

AFAIK Windows ME is a Hybrid of Dos and 9x.

I suppose that neptune was a test to see if NT could handle home users, which it did later with XP.

Windows Neptune kernel is 5.5 but Windows 2000 is 5.0, but as you all can see there isn't much difference between those two.( I suppose there is things under the hood)

So, To the question back in the days if Microsoft instead of releasing ME for the home users They had released Neptune To the home users, Would they be ready for it, would it be any different from what it was, Would OEMS messed up with all again?

Remember everything here is Hypothetical there is nothing to get angry about.
Last edited by goingawaytomatt on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hb860
Donator

Re: About ME, Neptune Betas.

Post by hb860 »

Windows ME was regular dos-hybrid like Windows 98
It was not Hybrid of NT and 9x and based on Windows 9x codebase
:(

goingawaytomatt

Post by goingawaytomatt »

Oh my bad then, i heard that somewhere, i will fix it.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Actually, if you're refering to the kernel, ME is MONOLITHIC kernel, just like all classic windows releases. NT line however uses much better HYBRID kernel, which is a combination of monolithic and microkernel. But if you're reffering to 16, 32 etc. bit stuff here's how it goes:
-Windows 1.X to 3.X: 16-bit
-Windows 95-ME (4.X): 16/32-bit (the OS itself is 32-bit, but also 16 because of the underlaying DOS)
-Windows NT: 32-bit

That's why NT is more stable because it doesn't need DOS. Thankfully, MS realized NT is better and made it available for home use, the very first move in that way was Neptune as already stated.

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

I actually think that Microsoft would have done better releasing Neptune in place of ME because of how unstable ME is compared to Neptune. If I had bought a computer with ME I would have either downgraded to 98, Upgraded to 2000 or installed OS/2 Warp 4.0.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

yes, i agree with you. ME is horrible when it comes to stability... :( It freezed right after in installed updates. The things about this already got complicated in 1997 when 98 was to be the last release from Classic line, and Neptune was to replace it (but they probably didn't call it Neptune at that time). Then, idk they decided to [censored] everything with ME and canceling Neptune, which was (is actually) a promising OS...

Cats869
Donator

Post by Cats869 »

Neptune would have done much better than ME obviously because its on the NT line and not the 9x line. NT is faster, more secure and easier to use.
DeFacto wrote:yes, i agree with you. ME is horrible when it comes to stability... :( It freezed right after in installed updates.
Offtopic Comment
You have to defrag it often, like every couple of days, otherwise you will get frequent freezes.
My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/xComputerWizardx
Visit my CSS clan here by going to www.tmuservers.net! We have CS:S, TF2, and Minecraft servers!

tonynoname
Donator

Post by tonynoname »

Neptune would of just replaced windows 2000.

de Blue Max

Post by de Blue Max »

NO_IT_WOULD_NOT

Neptune was planned as win2000 sucsessor
get that ingraved in your skull

DBlake
Donator
Location: Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Post by DBlake »

Offtopic Comment
de Blue Max wrote:NO_IT_WOULD_NOT

Neptune was planned as win2000 sucsessor
get that ingraved in your skull
Dude, what is your issue?
There are various sources that say Neptune was planned as a 2000 "Home Edition". Others say it was planned as the "Successor to 2000". We will never know 100%. Unless, of course, someone co hearses Microsoft into releasing more info on Neptune.

de Blue Max

Post by de Blue Max »

internal Microsoft memo's say sucsessor of NT5
I believe root source more than other peoples speculations.

tonynoname
Donator

Post by tonynoname »

Successor of windows 2000 sounds like replacement to me.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

you're both right: Windows 2000 as such didn't have the home edition. microsoft made up for that by making Neptune (although it was canceled later) which is actually the ancient ancester of XP, the successor of 2000. Odyssey and Neptune we're 2 different project created to replace 2000 and 9X line. The first was intended to be the next Bussines version and the other the next (first actually) Home version. Microsoft realized they could make one OS for both markets, so they started the Whistler project. And since Neptune is an early alpha that largely resembles 2000 it is also 2000 home edition in some way.