FTP server doesn't disconnect properly

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
coltonspleen

FTP server doesn't disconnect properly

Post by coltonspleen »

In FileZilla, when the public FTP disconnects, I get this:

Code: Select all

Error:	GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
I think this should be rectified ASAP, due to it being an annoying problem (mrp might think it's a big problem seeing as he's the main FTP admin, but alas).

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: FTP server doesn't disconnect properly

Post by mrpijey »

It may be annoying, but that's how the FTP works when the client disconnects before the server does. It's not a problem really and doesn't affect the connectivity or stability of transfer.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

sparcdr

Re: FTP server doesn't disconnect properly

Post by sparcdr »

This doesn't happen to servers or client software compiled using OpenSSL instead of GnuTLS, but as mrpijey noted it really has no effect on the operations. The reason for the error is the SSL handshake ends before it has fully negotiated/terminated, which can be caused by several factors, all of which are harmless. I use FileZilla client as well, and haven't gotten this issue with BA, and haven't gotten this on Windows, but have had it happen on Linux with other servers; probably because many Linux distros have chosen to buck the trend of using OpenSSL due to a singular and major screwup known as Heartbleed which caused a rift in the cryptography community that lead to LibreSSL and others using GnuTLS instead. It's quite likely that if you're using Linux the maintainers compiled the client with GnuTLS which spurs out more errors otherwise ignored.