Virtual PC 2007 SP1 causes Windows 10 64-bit to reboot.

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Paradox

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 causes Windows 10 64-bit to reboot.

Post by Paradox »

Usually virtual pc 2007 sp1 gives me a bsod when starting a virtual machine, however after downloading and installing Windows Phone SDK 8.0, starting a virtual machine causes windows 10 to reboot instead of getting a BSOD.

Here's what I did:

I downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 from the microsoft website.

I renamed 'setup.exe' to something else.

After installation I went to the directory where Virtual PC was installed and renamed 'Virtual PC.exe' to something else.

I downloaded and installed Windows Phone SDK 8.0.

After installing Windows Phone SDK 8.0, starting a virtual machine on Virtual PC 2007 SP1 no longer causes a BSOD, instead it causes windows 10 to reboot.

Does anyone know why Virtual PC 2007 causes windows 10 to reboot instead of getting a BSOD?

sparcdr

Re: Virtual PC 2007 SP1 causes Windows 10 64-bit to reboot.

Post by sparcdr »

I can't even get VPC 2K7 SP1 working on 7 SP1 x64. It throws an installer encountered an error. The driver is causing a kernel panic. Likely the virtualization driver which works in tandem with VT-D. Microsoft claimed Windows VirtualPC removed the need for VT requirement but Windows VirtualPC stripped out legacy os support. I have extracted the guest additions using 7-zip and renamed to .iso and in theory the engine still has the support anyways, but I can't even get as far as you did. In safe mode, your event viewer should tell you which filter/mini driver is causing the loop.

Something.sys, find it in the %temp% folder where vpc installer extracts (But don't attempt to setup, just do this to get at the files) find the .sys file and corresponding inf they distribute, open it up and you'll have something to Google then besides a filename. VPC 2007 SP1 isn't even supported on 7 SP1 (Officially only Windows VirtualPC is, or VPC 2007 SP1 on 7 without SP1 on 7, dumb right?) The legacy support was removed (Making it XP+ only) due to hwvirt drivers needing XP or higher, so they decided to strip out anything that outright required HVM support (Xen terminology). If they support FreeBSD/DOS then you can probably run stuff anyways, but like VMware that's likely going to change the underlying chipset, which in turn.. would turn off and hide interfaces needed to be exposed for the guest additions to work in the first place.

That's why PCem has so much potential for 9x tasks, though it's not even in the same category compared to VPC or VMware due to lack of integration and arguably inferior 2d performance. 3D only s/worked/works as far back as W2KSP4 with hw.version = 9 in VMware Workstation, and doesn't work at all in any version of VirtualPC as VPC emulates S3 era chipsets and DEC ethernet. Unfortunately leaving most of hoping GLIDE/DDRAW wrappers work after using the VM to extract data due to 16-bit installer code traces and lack of NTVDM on x64 editions. Furthermore an issue due to 16-bit code traces for various apps that need 3D from that timeframe, GLIDE wrapper on W2KSP4 or XP (Without SP1) with a cracked executable is typically the only hope due to need for wrappers, 32-bit VDM support and "hardware" Direct3D support. I can understand the frustration you're having however.

Goldfish64
Donator

Re: Virtual PC 2007 SP1 causes Windows 10 64-bit to reboot.

Post by Goldfish64 »

The reason why VPC2007 (and the WP7 emulator) causes Windows 10 to reboot is because of a watchdog timeout caused by the vmm.sys driver. There is no workaround known at this time. It might have been possible if the WP 8.0 SDK was updated, but as Windows Phone 7 and 8.0 are both retired it won't happen.
Goldfish64