Windows 10 9841 timebomb?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
yourepicfailure
Donator

Windows 10 9841 timebomb?

Post by yourepicfailure »

Decided to take 9841 for a spin. Nice build, start menu is nice and functionality is fair.
However, as soon as I connected to the internet, time synchronized and security problems began popping up, likely some timebomb and expiry funk.

I can start windows fine, but most system apps that are signed will not.
I'm hearing of this KMSPico out there that may stop the timebomb, but that still won't solve this certificate problems.
Any solutions? Problem is digital signature, but there has to be a method to disable signature enforcement.
Thanks.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Lukas Marsik

Re: Windows 10 9841 timebomb?

Post by Lukas Marsik »

KMSPico (or any KMS emulator for that matter) will only activate, no timebomb removal will take place
Microsoft would be pretty stupid if they shipped the OS with some universal switch that completely disables digital signature verification
The only way to actually use these builds is to keep the system date within the timebomb start and end range (Start being usually compile date, end being visible in winver)

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

What I have been using is to force disable driver integrity checks, which allows startup.
Guess I'll have to manuever and play with the system. Doubt I'll get any far.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

The RTC date is easy to change in proper emulators but you gotta disable the time service on anything modern. This is the first time I have heard of Microsoft signing executables against keys with that narrow of a range since Symantec and Thwate are such a ripoff and afaik Microsoft can't/hasn't signed its own authentec PKI as a CA. Thank goodness to us indies for Let's Encrypt! If the clock skews once on some timebombed systems it'll end up burying new changes somewhere (Registry?), a throwback to the "system hardware hash" of Microsoft's foray into software activation with XP, bricking the install. Many of the original "activators" couldn't defeat it once it was hosed (Experience with W2K3). OEM rekying/ignition/reset introduced in 7 enterprise made it easier (Again) as opposed to the "magic dbl" + watermark removal method before SILC was a thing in starting with Vista.

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

I wonder if importing newer certs from later builds would work, or just end up invalidating everything. It's a potential solution, maybe. I'm not about to fiddle with it, though - I'm almost certain it'll invalidate the executables, since they're all signed with the invalid certs.
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

As you said, the executables contain the invalid certificates. If you replace a certificate authority store it won't change that. So it will have no effect on the restriction. The cert chain is evaluated from the bottom anyways.

Bob Pony

Post by Bob Pony »

Well, you could probably try using a tool for Windows called TweakNT, it might not work, but you should give it a try anyway to see if it works.

nerd70

Post by nerd70 »

Bob Pony wrote:Well, you could probably try using a tool for Windows called TweakNT, it might not work, but you should give it a try anyway to see if it works.
dude, tweaknt doesn't do anything on builds post-5048.

TeddyJi

Post by TeddyJi »

Just replace the spp files from Windows 8.

Applegame12345

Post by Applegame12345 »

TeddyJi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm
Will not work.
>>click here<< for some wiki editing

TeddyJi

Post by TeddyJi »

Applegame12345 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:32 am
TeddyJi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm
Will not work.
Really? It works fine in my VM. The winver.exe said it contains but it won't be activated.