Swear filter issue?

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
ovctvct

Swear filter issue?

Post by ovctvct »

Well, a while ago, something has gone wrong with the swear filter, it won't filter anything except base words like **** but not words like f****d.

MrFreeman

Re: Swear filter issue?

Post by MrFreeman »

Honestly I don't want admins to play nanny and censor swearing, but if they have to do than atleast allow it to be users to disable it in their UCP.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

James

Post by James »

MrFreeman wrote:Honestly I don't want admins to play nanny and censor swearing
This forum is frequented by minors and other young folks.
We'd rather not let this place be a cesspool of degeneracy where everyone can drop f-bombs like a U.S. drone; by enforcing a filter on people's language, we can keep the conversation quality at least a little bit above the scum at the bottom of the barrel; we're trying to have some kind of professional decorum going on here, and allowing everyone to swear freely wouldn't help that at all.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

James wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:Honestly I don't want admins to play nanny and censor swearing
This forum is frequented by minors and other young folks.
We'd rather not let this place be a cesspool of degeneracy where everyone can drop f-bombs like a U.S. drone; by enforcing a filter on people's language, we can keep the conversation quality at least a little bit above the scum at the bottom of the barrel; we're trying to have some kind of professional decorum going on here, and allowing everyone to swear freely wouldn't help that at all.
So the classic "think of the children" nonsense....

Ok but for us adults who aren't offended by swearing, can you still allow us to turn off the filter so we can see the swearing?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Frankly, if a person can't express him/herself online without cursing then perhaps this person should re-evaluate their language skills and take up classes to develop the vocabulary so one can express themselves without using foul language. It's not about "think of the children" or anything like that, we simply want a professional level of discussion here without it turning into some kind of immature mayhem of bad language, bad attitude and low quality garbage posts. Most people are surely not offended by swear words and foul language, but it's not appropriate to talk to other people in that way in a public setting and not to your parents, your teacher, your boss or even strangers. You may use that kind of language with friends when talking in private if you wish but on a public forum it's not appropriate and will not be tolerated. I for one sees a person as an uneducated moron if they can't express themselves in a respectful and appropriate manner in a public area. And this forum is very much public.

So in short no, you won't be able to disable the filter, we will make notice of anyone trying to circumvent it and we will enforce a mature level of discussion here. We respect your opinions about the filter, and you're not alone, but in this case we won't consider any alternatives.

Keep the discussion high quality, respectful, clean and to the point.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Have we ever had a problem with excessive swearing on here?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We've had members that had a less than accepted use of the language and they have been warned and posts moved yes.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

mrpijey wrote:We've had members that had a less than accepted use of the language and they have been warned and posts moved yes.
Yes, I remember. Mouse on mars, wasabilee, nazguz, Roo the vickty, only god knows now.
I agree with mrpijey though. We should help to create a forum that is friendly for everyone with high quality discussion and without low quality posts, spamming, bad language and attitude, etc. I agree and believe it's not just the words. You might use this language with other people, but in a public forum, which is really designed for friendly discussion, it has no place. I'm sure others have different opinions, just expressing mine. :)

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

you can still swear and still have a friendly productive conversation at the same time.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Yes. I also feel that words such as "damn" should be tolerated but used within moderation.

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

Just the same as with "the contribution with a piece of software/abandonware to get FTP access" requirement... People tend to forget that the actual restrictions are the fault of the ones who abused relaxed restrictions before. If you guys have a complain with the way actually the rules are, first blame the individual ones who made them to get in the way them are now.

---
Nah... forum rules are fine as they actually are. Those who can't stand something as simple as using language without foul words have the choice to go elsewhere where such attitude is actually acceptable.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Honestly I never understood this Americanism, "bleeping" F-words and N-words on TV (and online) and somehow hoping it will help the kids use less swearing, as if the Streisand effect didn't exist. But their site, their rules, so just accept it and live with it. It's not such a big deal anyways.
Offtopic Comment
I once had a GreaseMonkey script that would take re-convert multiple stars in a website back to a swear word, even checking if the whole word was censored or if the beginning/ending letters were still there. It had a small database of common swear words and if it couldn't find a match it would just insert the canonical F-word back into the text. It was far from perferct, and some of the false positives were actually kinda funny *hehe* . Too bad I lost the script when I re-formatted my PC
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Darkstar wrote:Honestly I never understood this Americanism, "bleeping" F-words and N-words on TV (and online) and somehow hoping it will help the kids use less swearing, as if the Streisand effect didn't exist. But their site, their rules, so just accept it and live with it. It's not such a big deal anyways.
Offtopic Comment
I once had a GreaseMonkey script that would take re-convert multiple stars in a website back to a swear word, even checking if the whole word was censored or if the beginning/ending letters were still there. It had a small database of common swear words and if it couldn't find a match it would just insert the canonical F-word back into the text. It was far from perferct, and some of the false positives were actually kinda funny *hehe* . Too bad I lost the script when I re-formatted my PC
Offtopic Comment
What was the name of the script?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The swear filter exists, deal with it, and don't swear. It's not necessary. The reason some words no longer get censored is because of a change to stop it using wildcards as this was censoring valid words more often than it was actual swearing.

Topic locked.