Windows NT 5.0 problems with VMware

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Dr.pepper

Windows NT 5.0 problems with VMware

Post by Dr.pepper »

Does anyone know of any sound drivers that will work in any windows NT 5.0 builds (excluding the builds labeled 2000) when i try to install drivers in NT 5.0 1877 with the melcher and hounsell driver kits, it blue screens when it next starts up. And builds 1729, 1877 and 1906 don't install in VMware work station 12. It hangs around "starting windows" and never starts.
I hate anime and I hate weebs

The Distractor

Re: Windows NT 5.0 problems with VMware

Post by The Distractor »

Have you tried installing them on 86box?

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

Never had tried that program. Although, it would be best (for me) to get this to work on Vmware. can it make VHD files to use on other virtual machine programs?
I hate anime and I hate weebs

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Dr.pepper wrote:Never had tried that program. Although, it would be best (for me) to get this to work on Vmware. can it make VHD files to use on other virtual machine programs?
It can, but only fixed-size ones.

lukebutler111

Post by lukebutler111 »

I think a search for "Creative Audio PCI" will download an executable that will install compatible sound drivers for VMWare, or if that doesn't work then i'm obviously thinking of something else, anyway hope that DOES work!

sparcdr

Post by sparcdr »

Creative Ensoniq ES1371 is what VMware uses on pre Vista guests. Ideally you should modify the VMX and use hw.version 9 due to Direct3D signing issues documented on the VMTN. Alternatively it is also possible to force VMware to use SB16 mode by again editing the guest vmx file. Creative still offers drivers for this card through their support portal. You should also ensure hardware signing is disabled via gpedit and then run dxdiag and devmgmt.msc to confirm the drivers took.

From experience with Win2K in a physical sense, ES1371 was the last sound card I believe Creative supported on pre-XP systems and that is likely why it has mainline support in various virtualization products. ES1371 also works on XP without needing to install 3rd party/vendor drivers but WU has an updated version provided from Microsoft on both 2000 and XP.

You will have to update to W2K SP4 + SR1, export the windowsupdate.microsoft.com CRL from a machine able to negotiate TLS v1.1+ (Not SSL v3.0), import it into the Certificate Root Authority (Local System) on the 2000 VM, add *.windowsupdate.microsoft.com, windowsupdate.microsoft.com, update.microsoft.com, and *.update.microsoft.com to the Internet Explorer trusted sites list, and install the Root Certificates Update (Includes a revocation list) manually by extracting the cabinet/self-executable(s) (rootsupd.exe & rvkroots.exe) using something like 7-zip, using the included Updroots.exe as documented by a commentator at https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sus ... ows-server to restore WU on W2K SP4. It is not likely possible to find the ES1371 driver on the Microsoft Catalog from my experience and you will need WU to get Microsoft's WHQL variant if for some reason Creative's doesn't work.