FTP server back up (sorta)!

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
mrpijey
Administrator

FTP server back up (sorta)!

Post by mrpijey »

We've made some changes to how the BetaArchive server talks to the file server (remember, they are in two different countries) which has some positive and negative sides.

The positive sides is that it should be a lot more stable now and it also gives us a lot of options for the future when it comes to changes. Since the main server now talks directly to the file server through a VPN we can monitor everything much more closely now and also work towards a proper database connection.

The negative side is that navigating the FTP is a bit slower. Since the VPN connection (and the SMB protocol it uses to talk to the file server) is a lot slower than pure FTP traffic navigating the large folders can take time, up to 10 seconds. So when you navigate the tree there will be delays, so be sure to not have a too short timeout setting in your clients otherwise it will disconnect before it lists the files. And if you can enable caching then do it as well, it should improve navigation.

We will work towards a new way of sharing these files and eventually abandon FTP alltogether, but for now this is what we can do since the old solution failed in the end. And as always, suggestions are welcome but remember that we won't share the files completely openly so we need a solution that can manage the connection as well as files. Torrents are out of the question, so is FTP in the long run.

Please report any issues in the proper forum but remember, increase your connection timeout in the client and be patient.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

mibrab

Re: FTP server back up (sorta)!

Post by mibrab »

I've turned off the timeout in FileZilla off a few days ago anyway because of the timeout issues

how is this going to affect the regular download speed though?
Also known as Cvolton elsewhere...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Download speed should not be affected. It seems to give me approximately 6MB/s without a hitch which I'd consider pretty quick.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

During the next few days we'll monitor the FTP and how well it performs, so don't be alarmed if it goes down as we may have to restart services to tweak settings etc. But overall the VPN connection seems stable and speeds are good enough for the majority of the members.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

I'm curious. What was the old way of handling these connections?
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Ye olde way:

Client <-- BA server FTP <---SSL FTP LINK---> File server FTP

The new way:

Client <-- BA server FTP <---SSL VPN LINK---> File server SMB share

I hope it illustrates it well :).

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Basically everything goes through a VPN now.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

No, since the user end is still FTP. But the traffic between the servers has been replaced with a VPN.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

The negative side is that navigating the FTP is a bit slower. Since the VPN connection (and the SMB protocol it uses to talk to the file server) is a lot slower than pure FTP traffic navigating the large folders can take time, up to 10 seconds. So when you navigate the tree there will be delays, so be sure to not have a too short timeout setting in your clients otherwise it will disconnect before it lists the files. And if you can enable caching then do it as well, it should improve navigation.
On my own end, there's no sensible slow-down. Either way, a navigation slow-down isn't such a pain, as long as I'm able to download at the same speeds as before the incident occurred.

As always, BetaArchive stays strong!

Win7

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Perhaps there's a couple of seconds slowdown with large folders, as said in the OP, but other than that, no notable differences (as expected).
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

1. Nice, the FTP should be more stable now.

2. And in Win7's post above, we have another occurrence of a phpBB-generated BBCode UID being caught by the forum's swear filter and therefore making the post look weird.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Battler wrote:2. And in Win7's post above, we have another occurrence of a phpBB-generated BBCode UID being caught by the forum's swear filter and therefore making the post look weird.
Could you elaborate on the cause of this issue? I was confused about what was causing it earlier.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Andy wrote:
Battler wrote:2. And in Win7's post above, we have another occurrence of a phpBB-generated BBCode UID being caught by the forum's swear filter and therefore making the post look weird.
Could you elaborate on the cause of this issue? I was confused about what was causing it earlier.
Apparently the spam filter sees "mrpijey" as a swear word now ;-)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I don't think it does since it works for you right now. Plus when I edit the post the quote has no username in it... That's what confused me.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

Darkstar wrote:Apparently the spam filter sees "mrpijey" as a swear word now ;-)
Should it be true (but then we should open a new thread about this) then I'm going to write mrpijey here.

Win7

EDIT: Seems definitely fixed. Sorry for going off-topic... :$

longhornwhistler
Donator

Post by longhornwhistler »

Thanks for all you guys do. You truly are the best :)
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ