Where to buy vintage 3D software (DOS)?

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
bishopco3

Where to buy vintage 3D software (DOS)?

Post by bishopco3 »

For a long time now I have been searching ebay and other online vendors to find any Dos related 3D software, more importantly, old 3D studio dos versions, or Lightwave, or original Animator Pro CD etc..
During their peak, these programs sold pretty well. Now nowhere to be found.
I know with Autodesk, the license is non transferable, but who would use it for actual work anyway?
I've specifically was looking for any CD version of 3D studio Dos versions, where the world creation CD is included.
So, has anybody had any luck finding these out there?

computebrute
Donator

Re: Where to buy vintage 3D software (DOS)?

Post by computebrute »

It's going to be pretty rare for anyone to find any vintage CAD software. Back then, they cost a fortune and therefore not very many people bought them so nobody has them nowadays.

bishopco3

Post by bishopco3 »

Yes, it is true that for most private individual the cost would have been prohibitive, but there were a ton of studios that bought these in large quantities. Hell, I've use the dos version of 3d studio since version 3 in a post production studio, and it was cheap compared to some of the hardware based solutions at the time. The thing is, 3d Studio Max was priced the same at the time, and finding copies of those is a lot easier, like other windows based 3D programs.
It's a shame really, because these programs will be truly lost.

pool7

Post by pool7 »

Since these were used mostly at companies and for a very specific purpose (ie. contrary to something like an OS or office suite, etc), it could be they're still there in a safe box or somewhere where they keep their original software.
So yeah, finding original media is going to be hard. I'm not into this kind of software, but I do have a Lightwave 3D 4.0 from when I could collect some PS1 dev stuff, and it took a while to find.
I guess my advice is: keep looking at ebay and similar sites, and also check local pawn shops and garage sales.

skinumeric

Post by skinumeric »

I would also be interested in buying it, but as you mentioned the license is not transferable and Autodesk is actively banning anyone who tries to sell it.

I have however found some of them on the internet, after much searching. Some of them also include 15 day trials. (e.g. Discreet 3dsmax 4).
If anyone is interested in Discreet 3dsmax 4.2 I have it from where I found it on an FTP, and could share it here. Since it is trialware maybe we can host it here, but I know Autodesk are DMCA freaks.

bishopco3

Post by bishopco3 »

I remember at some point there were old dos versions of 3d studio available on ebay many years ago. Sometimes there are vendors who deal in this kind of stuff, for e.g.: http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/a/autodesk.htm, but I am not sure how updated these sites are. Generally Max versions of 3D studio are easier to find(buy or download an ISO).

skinumeric

Post by skinumeric »

I found several of the DOS versions here, but most of them require a key to work which isn't included.
http://vetusware.com/category/Multimedia/?cat=8

bishopco3

Post by bishopco3 »

I know that there are copies out there of 3D studio DOS versions from 2 to 4 on the net. What you don't find is the World Creation toolkit CD that came with version 3 and 4. This is why I am actually looking for a physical copy that would contain the CD, original floppies and of course, the manual.
What would be gold is to actually find Version 1.