Netscape Constellation?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
rthdribl

Netscape Constellation?

Post by rthdribl »

I've found some stories and mock-up images about the Netscape Constellation, the "cloud-based" OS of the 90s.
It is indeed a vaporware and I'm quite sure there are no prereleases, but I can't understand the existance of this book:
http://www.lookupbyisbn.com/Lookup/Book ... 64502378/1
"Netscape Constellation for Dummies: With CDROM"

Looking for the cover returns no results, search by ISBN is hardly conclusive and no other list shows this book. Does anyone know something more (or even have this book)?

Cheers!
Last edited by rthdribl on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl

James

Re: Netscape Constellation?

Post by James »

Netscape Constellation, based on a quick Google search, seemed to be something akin to Google Drive or OneDrive these days -- an area to edit your files from any computer network or operating system on Earth. This was part of Netscape's focus as they felt that the underlying OS would eventually be rendered obsolete and that web browsers would power the future.

rthdribl

Post by rthdribl »

Indeed this is the thing I'm talking about. But from what I've found, it never existed and only the mock-ups were created. So I'll be more precise and ask if anyone knows about any actual Constellation software and/or can explain how could a book about it exist?

Edit:
it was probably not clear, because I wrote "can" instead of "can't" in the previous post. Sorry about that.
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl

DBlake
Donator
Location: Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Post by DBlake »

Netscape Constellation was renamed to Netcaster when it was out of beta. Here's a site about how to use it: http://www.aibn.com/help/Software/Netsc ... Netcaster/