Windows 10 Home/Professional USB boxcover art

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
mrpijey
Administrator

Windows 10 Home/Professional USB boxcover art

Post by mrpijey »

dw5304 was so kind to provide me with high res scans of the retail Windows 10 Home/Professional USB stick box, with USB stick scans as well... For those of you who wants to see how it looks like... :)

http://www.mrpijey.net/gallery_ba/index ... DM3ZjhiYzM

The license data has of course been removed, and I have not attempted any repairs of the box etc. The box got banged up a bit but it still looks good.

Enjoy!
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

computebrute
Donator

Re: Windows 10 Home/Professional USB boxcover art

Post by computebrute »

Cool. I didn't know they gave you a USB stick.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

computebrute wrote:Cool. I didn't know they gave you a USB stick.
You can order one.

pool7

Post by pool7 »

It was about time MS offered Windows in a flashdrive... wonder what took them so long?
Also, they could have gone with a prettier design, considering their CDs/DVDs are usually gorgous with the holograms and stuff.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the high-res pics, pretty nice and interesting.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

pool7 wrote:It was about time MS offered Windows in a flashdrive... wonder what took them so long?
Also, they could have gone with a prettier design, considering their CDs/DVDs are usually gorgous with the holograms and stuff.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the high-res pics, pretty nice and interesting.
Don't think they can make flash drives that much prettier tbh. They could however reduce the text and other markings, remove that blue thing and maybe just have the logo on the drive for a more clean, functional look.

One can argue that this would make identifying drives harder, but a typical consumer would only have exactly 1 drive in most cases.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Haha, it's interesting that you people argue about the design of a USB stick... as if it's the most important part :). Who cares about the design of a square flash stick? :). I find it more interesting that MS chose to not only include two SKUs on the same installation, but also x86 and x64 variants. Something they should have done on DVDs and ISOs a long time ago since we've seen custom AiO discs for a long time. MS would have saved a lot of money on both server storage but also manufacturing by incorporating everything a few single ISOs instead of insisting of having one disc per SKU/per language/per license/per target. Massive waste of money and space.

And speaking of design, the box and stick design follows the Windows 8/10 theme just fine. Flat, single colored and extremely simple. The holographic and colorful logos went away with XP and I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.

pool7

Post by pool7 »

Not sure about Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, but Windows Vista and 7 also had holographic stuff in the discs (although it didn't cover the entire disc, as it did for Windows XP and earlier).
In any case, design it's a matter of taste.

I didn't pay attention to the fact the drive includes both Home/Pro and 32/64 bits, that's definitely a great improvement.

Ray

Post by Ray »

I wonder if this USB stick is just a branded regular drive or something more "special" like read-only (a.k.a write-protected).

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Ray wrote:I wonder if this USB stick is just a branded regular drive or something more "special" like read-only (a.k.a write-protected).
Without a doubt write-protected. It'd be silly for it to be r/w.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It's not write protected, nor branded in any special way except with the Windows 10 insignia.

BetaNewbie

Post by BetaNewbie »

does it include both x86 and x64 boot.wim? if so, what will happen if you boot the machine with this? (especially when using Legacy BIOS)

dw5304
Donator

Post by dw5304 »

yes,
it has both
it actually has three bootloaders.
one for original boot off of the root of the drive
then one under x86 and another under x64
thought it was interesting...
as to what happens on an older pc lol haven't had time to test it yet :).

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

mrpijey wrote:I find it more interesting that MS chose to not only include two SKUs on the same installation, but also x86 and x64 variants. Something they should have done on DVDs and ISOs a long time ago since we've seen custom AiO discs for a long time.
I actually have a old Vista "Anytime Upgrade" disc from a old HP computer. I lost the packaging (not surprising, since it has been 8-7 years since my dad bought the computer) and the disc is a tiny bit scratched but still fully functional. It allows you to install most Vista SKUs without a product key (but it still needs activation). Unfortunately, it is x86 only. Here is a quick little scan that I made and edited:
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

pool7

Post by pool7 »

Windows OS wrote:and the disc is a tiny bit scratched but still fully functional.
Is it me or there's a noticeable crack going from the inner ring's center-right area? If so, I can't see how the disc can be fully functional.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

pool7 wrote:
Windows OS wrote:and the disc is a tiny bit scratched but still fully functional.
Is it me or there's a noticeable crack going from the inner ring's center-right area? If so, I can't see how the disc can be fully functional.
The crack does not make it to the data part of the disc. Just the middle ring. I was kinda infamous in my family for extremely poor handling of optical media back in the day :$ . But hey, I was 7 back when Vista came out :D. But I am able to make a ISO of it. I'm gonna try a MDF rip and see what happens...
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki