How do I download ReactOS Kernel Source code.

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
kittyhacker101

How do I download ReactOS Kernel Source code.

Post by kittyhacker101 »

I know how to download ReactOS Source Code, but how do you download the kernel? I just need the kernel source code, nothing else (I am using this for a project, because Windows_NT is closed source).

Darkstar
Donator

Re: How do I download ReactOS Kernel Source code.

Post by Darkstar »

How about just downloading everything and then deleting all which is not Kernel source code? Is it really that hard to figure out?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

kittyhacker101 wrote:I know how to download ReactOS Source Code, but how do you download the kernel? I just need the kernel source code, nothing else (I am using this for a project, because Windows_NT is closed source).
Ehh, as Darkstar said, you'll get the entire ReactOS source code. Just find the kernel source code in there. Problem solved.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

pittical

Post by pittical »

The kernel is under reactos/ntoskrnl in their SVN repo. You can directly check out that subfolder only, if bandwidth actually is an issue for you.

kittyhacker101

Post by kittyhacker101 »

Darkstar wrote:How about just downloading everything and then deleting all which is not Kernel source code? Is it really that hard to figure out?
For very complex reasons, I can not download all of the source code at the same time.
I would like a way to download a 1/6 and then just remove everything else, but I can not download more than 5/6 of the source code at a time before I start getting problems with my network timing out.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

kittyhacker101 wrote:
Darkstar wrote:How about just downloading everything and then deleting all which is not Kernel source code? Is it really that hard to figure out?
For very complex reasons, I can not download all of the source code at the same time.
I would like a way to download a 1/6 and then just remove everything else, but I can not download more than 5/6 of the source code at a time before I start getting problems with my network timing out.
In case you really can't figure this out on your own ..., get a file download application (e.g. Free Download Manager) that can resume download if your connection fails often; or alternatively, as pittical pointed out, just check out the ntoskrnl directory under the ReactOS SVN repository ...

kittyhacker101

Post by kittyhacker101 »

Stephanos wrote:
kittyhacker101 wrote:
In case you really can't figure this out on your own ..., get a file download application (e.g. Free Download Manager) that can resume download if your connection fails often; or alternatively, as pittical pointed out, just check out the ntoskrnl directory under the ReactOS SVN repository ...
Stephanos wrote:
kittyhacker101 wrote:
The ntoskrnl directory doesn't have all of the source code (I tried compiling it) and I have a bad computer that is very unreliable and applications can crash without warning.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

D'Oh. Of course you cannot compile the kernel subdirectory without the other required files in other directories. You never said you wanted to compile it, you said you just needed the source code for a project.

If you want to compile it you need the whole reactos/ tree. But if your computer is so unstable you probably won't be able to compile it anyway. I don't know what you want us to say to you here, or how you think we could help you...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

after64k

Post by after64k »

You need to check out an svn build with the React OS Build Environment. The command: ssvn create should work for you. If for whatever reason you don't want to see the rest of the source for the OS, then I would recommend make a copy of the folder first once you have it downloaded, find the ntoskrnl folder, and drag it out. If your system is crashing a lot, try to reinstall the OS, or check for hardware damage; something isn't right and needs replaced. Hope this helps and good luck.

ColonelPhantom

Post by ColonelPhantom »

Just wondering, why do you need the ReactOS kernel specifically? Why not for example Linux (http://www.kernel.org)? It's a quite popular and well documented kernel (See Linux from Scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)