No Internet in VMWare

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Techanch

No Internet in VMWare

Post by Techanch »

I posted this here because I couldn't find anywhere else to post it

I recently got VMWare Workstation so I can emulate Windows 9x and modern Windows without Virtualbox's lag, but, whenever I emulate a modern operating system, I cant get any internet in the guest, I tried every configuration, making VMnet 1 a public network, and I still cant get internet access in VMWare, also, Windows says that VMnet 1 and VMnet 8 have no internet

I am using a Wifi adapter on my host if that helps

carlospc
Donator

Re: No Internet in VMWare

Post by carlospc »

In VMWARE I have found that changing the type of networking to Bridged Networking helps.

Using that type of networking makes the VM behave as if it was part of your local network.

Good luck :cool:
System abtScrubImage.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

This is not a VMware tech support forum, so you might want to ask these kinds of questions somewhere else to get better replies.

That being said, using Bridged mode is usually better as long as your home network has a DHCP server, because then it should just work out of the box. OTOH I know of some Wifi cards that cannot be put into promiscuous mode(which is required by VMware) so if you have one of these Wifi cards then you're probably out of luck.

You can use Wireshark or similar to trace the network packets and check if your VM does a DHCP request to better pinpoint the problem (i.e. is it between your guest OS and VMware? or between VMware and your host OS? Or between your host OS and the router? etc.)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Techanch

Post by Techanch »

Thanks, I got it working by adding the VMWare Bridged Network Service in network settings

voidp

Post by voidp »

rechly121

Post by rechly121 »

I resolved the problem. Though the solution seems to be pretty lame. I observed that VMware DHCP service had stopped running and was not restarting at all, no matter what I try. So I had to uninstall and re-install VMware workstation to make it run. After reinstallation, I started getting internet with NAT adapter. But I'm still not sure why the service was not starting.
Rechly Parker
IT Analyst