The origins of the Start menu

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
SpiralVortex

The origins of the Start menu

Post by SpiralVortex »

Here's an interesting article explaining the Start button was orignally a System button. I wonder if any builds were released with a System button in them?

(It's especially interesting as the builds that have leaked have a small square button prior to the more recognisable Start button coming along...)

http://uk.businessinsider.com/history-o ... ?r=US&IR=T

DiskingRound

Re: The origins of the Start menu

Post by DiskingRound »

The first of the 3 Chicago 58s start buttons is called System according to a Chicago concept from earlier in 1993. It would be cool to see a build with the first design posted here leaked (if it was ever used in builds that is). Thanks for posting this article, very interesting... :)

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I doubt they ever actually implemented a design other than the one seen first in Usability Testing builds. As he said, they were experimenting with several options and did extensive testing to find the best solution before actually implementing it. Though even the design they eventually settled on could be improved, and it was, in build 73 (earliest we know of anyway) with the new taskbar and a single start menu.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I don't know why you're just looking at microsoft.

I had filebar in OS/2 before this, and i suspect you will find the genisus of the start bar in apple, or even just the application menu, because that is all it is.