Windows NT 3.51 VMware - Working

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
TheCherryKing

Windows NT 3.51 VMware - Working

Post by TheCherryKing »

Windows NT 3.xx will NOT run in a virtual machine. Windows NT 3.xx doesn't support multi-core processors. VMware Workstation 7 and later emulate multicore processors. Virtualbox and other emulation programs also emulate multi-core processors. By changing the VMware configuration file I made Windows NT 3.51 and VMware Workstation 6.0 File. It boots up running only a solo-core processor. It can be setup and it runs completely fine. Installing the graphics was a nightmare but it can support 2048 x 1536 32-Bit displays once I got it working.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/56cqo ... NNT351.zip

https://techtalk.ga/download/file.php?id=31

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Windows NT 3.51 VMware - Working

Post by yourepicfailure »

Actually, in VMWare, all you need to do is set compatibility to 3 when creating the virtual machine and you're ready to go.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

Did you also apply fix for newer Pentium processors? If not, you can find it on TCB.
Offtopic Comment
900th post

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

NT 3.51 RTM doesn't require the Pentium and higher fix.

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

TheCollector1988 wrote:NT 3.51 RTM doesn't require the Pentium and higher fix.
Oh, I have forgotten that. Actually in somewhere I have found an NT 3.51 VM for VirtualBox. At the moment I can't access it, though.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

TheCollector1988 wrote:NT 3.51 RTM doesn't require the Pentium and higher fix.
1024 and 1057 don't, 944 does however.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

neonsonicboy
Donator

Post by neonsonicboy »

TheCherryKing wrote:Windows NT 3.xx will NOT run in a virtual machine. Windows NT 3.xx doesn't support multi-core processors. VMware Workstation 7 and later emulate multicore processors. Virtualbox and other emulation programs also emulate multi-core processors. By changing the VMware configuration file I made Windows NT 3.51 and VMware Workstation 6.0 File. It boots up running only a solo-core processor. It can be setup and it runs completely fine. Installing the graphics was a nightmare but it can support 2048 x 1536 32-Bit displays once I got it working.

NT 3.51 works fine in VirtualBox for me and I don't recall modifying anything (VirtualBox 4.3.28 on Windows Server 2012 R2).

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

I'm pretty sure NT 3.5 works fine in VMware, if you don't require a higher resolution (because of their non-standard SVGA chipset which lacks NT3 drivers). I had it running at some point, and I usually use VMware (simply because I get the Workstation licenses for free and it works great with every newer O/S that I use regularly)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

TheCherryKing wrote:Windows NT 3.xx will NOT run in a virtual machine.
I love these false assertions.

No, it has run in virtual software for YEARS.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

Darkstar wrote:I'm pretty sure NT 3.5 works fine in VMware, if you don't require a higher resolution (because of their non-standard SVGA chipset which lacks NT3 drivers). I had it running at some point, and I usually use VMware (simply because I get the Workstation licenses for free and it works great with every newer O/S that I use regularly)
you have vbemp driver for higher resolution.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

neonsonicboy wrote:
TheCherryKing wrote:Windows NT 3.xx will NOT run in a virtual machine. Windows NT 3.xx doesn't support multi-core processors. VMware Workstation 7 and later emulate multicore processors. Virtualbox and other emulation programs also emulate multi-core processors. By changing the VMware configuration file I made Windows NT 3.51 and VMware Workstation 6.0 File. It boots up running only a solo-core processor. It can be setup and it runs completely fine. Installing the graphics was a nightmare but it can support 2048 x 1536 32-Bit displays once I got it working.

NT 3.51 works fine in VirtualBox for me and I don't recall modifying anything (VirtualBox 4.3.28 on Windows Server 2012 R2).
Except that, for me, I had to disable VT-x.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Well that's pretty natural when you're running an OS that is officially 20 years old now and was originally designed to run on a 486, which itself is over 25 years old.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks