How to remove timebombs in Whistler 22xx builds?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
coltonspleen

How to remove timebombs in Whistler 22xx builds?

Post by coltonspleen »

I'm trying to find out if you can remove a timebomb from Whistler 22xx builds without needing TweakNT, it's possible to do such, but someone would need to disassemble the program to find the registry entries needed for such timebomb removal.

ovctvct

Re: How to remove timebombs in Whistler 22xx builds?

Post by ovctvct »

coltonspleen wrote:I'm trying to find out if you can remove a timebomb from Whistler 22xx builds without needing TweakNT, it's possible to do such, but someone would need to disassemble the program to find the registry entries needed for such timebomb removal.
It's too tricky, why not just use TweakNT?

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

Because it doesn't work on the Whistler build 2257 Professional SKU. It works on the Personal SKU though.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

coltonspleen wrote:Because it doesn't work on the Whistler build 2257 Professional SKU. It works on the Personal SKU though.
Quite weird.. Did you reboot immediatelly after you removed the timebomb? If yes, try removing it in Safe Mode (use F8)

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

coltonspleen wrote:Because it doesn't work on the Whistler build 2257 Professional SKU. It works on the Personal SKU though.
It works on all proper Whistler builds, SKU hackjobs may be an exception hence, IIRC, they modify the same bit as the place where the timebomb resides

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

This isn't a hack job though. It's from a real CD that was dumped on the 31st of August 2014.

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

ovctvct wrote:
Quite weird.. Did you reboot immediatelly after you removed the timebomb? If yes, try removing it in Safe Mode (use F8)
Yes, I tried it in Safe Mode with and without networking, but I'll try using the setupreg.hiv from the final Windows XP, and I'll see how THAT does.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

coltonspleen wrote:
ovctvct wrote:
Yes, I tried it in Safe Mode with and without networking, but I'll try using the setupreg.hiv from the final Windows XP, and I'll see how THAT does.
That's risky, trust me, because there is a lot of difference between 2257 and 2600, it may cause a BSOD, crash, freeze, etc.

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

EDIT: It works with an edited setupreg.hiv. Changes are, The setupdd in the ControlSet001 in the setupreg.hiv was blanked out to all 00.