[REQUEST] Laplink v for DOS alternative

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Jensvde
Donator

[REQUEST] Laplink v for DOS alternative

Post by Jensvde »

Hello all,

I am looking for a freeware (or abandonware ) alternative for Laplink V for DOS. It's a program to backup your entire C drive. But it costs 50$ which is rather expensive for a DOS utility.

Is there something else that gets the job done for free? I want to copy all the files on my C drive to a ZIP disk. I use the Palmzip driver, which makes the 100mb parallel Zip drive act like an internal hard drive.

Some things that are required:
-The program must keep the old file dates/time markings
-The program can't use to much ram (I only have 640Kb)

Thanks in advance!

Jens

carlospc
Donator

Re: [REQUEST] Laplink v for DOS alternative

Post by carlospc »

MS-DOS 6 comes with an alternate program called interlink.

In this page you will find instrucions to use it:

http://www.pcxt-micro.com/dos-interlink.html

Good luck! :cool:
System abtScrubImage.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

@carlospc: He doesn't use laplink to transfer files between computers but to backup his entire C: drive to a ZIP disk. That's something different.

@Jensvde: Why not simply use PkZip or ARJ with multiple volume spanning? That way you get compression and you can simply extract single files from the backup set if you need them. If you only need system files backed up you can also use xcopy, although that doesn't do compression, but if it's only C:\DOS and C:\WINDOWS that you're backing up it will probably still fit on a ZIP100 disk.
Or, if you're looking for a full-featured backup program with GUI and all, you could try Central Point Backup (e.g. from PCTools 9) which can also backup to a fixed disk/path in addition to floppies and tape drives. CPBackup can be considered abandonware by now (at least that's where you'll find it on BA's FTP)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

abandonware
Donator

Post by abandonware »

Hi, norton commander is another good option for file copying tasks from one unit to another, even using the serial or parallel ports, you can copy files from one PC to another by this means. With the advantage of a graphical interface and you can copy hidden files and entire directories. ;-)
I'm looking for PC abandonware software, applications, OS, CAD, word processing, spreadsheets, programming, educational software, databases, sound or graphics editors, file managers, etc. If you have some old software or collection please share it.

Jensvde
Donator

Post by Jensvde »

Thank you all for the replies. Pkzip, does that program run on a 8088 with 640kb of ram? Or are my system specs too low? I don't need compression, the hard drive is only 20mb big.

Edit: I wanted to use Norton Commander 3.0 but I don't know how to do the Compare Directory command :(

abandonware
Donator

Post by abandonware »

Jensvde wrote:Edit: I wanted to use Norton Commander 3.0 but I don't know how to do the Compare Directory command :(
Hi, in the norton commander 4, 5 and others, the option is on the top menu Command -> Compare Directories.
I'm looking for PC abandonware software, applications, OS, CAD, word processing, spreadsheets, programming, educational software, databases, sound or graphics editors, file managers, etc. If you have some old software or collection please share it.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Norton Commander doesn't neccessarily keep timestamps and attributes when copying.

PkZip runs just fine with 640kb of RAM and an 8086 processor. You can even disable compression (or set it to "low") so that it doesn't take a long time to pack everything up.

OTOH, "xcopy /h /c /e /k /y /i C:\*.* D:\BACKUP" will probably also do what you want (especially if you only need 20mb on your ZIP disk)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA