What is this?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
johnleakedfan

What is this?

Post by johnleakedfan »

Windows 2000 Professional (b2000) (rc1) (axp)

Just a quick thing, wondering what the ''(axp)'' is in these folder names on the server

DiskingRound

Re: What is this?

Post by DiskingRound »

AXP means Alpha AXP. Only betas of Windows 2000 have it AFAIK, the final version discontinued support for it. Alpha AXP Windows NT files are also included on Windows NT discs prior to 2000 RTM in the /alpha folder. Do not confuse this with early pre-release versions.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

IIRC support for AXP was dropped in RC3.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

gordon_freetux

Post by gordon_freetux »

Does anyone now the exavt build number of the last AXP-Version?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

2128 is the last leaked build to have AXP support.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

lilysmith22

Post by lilysmith22 »

AXP is originally known for Alpha AXP. For more about this you can read these articles :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AXP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha
Admin note: Add the spammy signature back again and you will be banned permanently.

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

It's kind of surprising, how they dropped the Alpha platform. You would think that if the Alpha version of the OS has gone that far, it would be developed all the way. I think it had to do with Compaq (which bought the platform) dropping Alpha, so with no new Alpha computers being released that could have Windows 2000 preinstalled, Microsoft decided to drop it.
Windows 7: the operating system that just won't die....

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Whistler wrote:It's kind of surprising, how they dropped the Alpha platform. You would think that if the Alpha version of the OS has gone that far, it would be developed all the way. I think it had to do with Compaq (which bought the platform) dropping Alpha, so with no new Alpha computers being released that could have Windows 2000 preinstalled, Microsoft decided to drop it.
Yes, that seems the most likely reason. As you said, there's little sense in bringing a platform to RC2 stage then dropping support for it, unless the target hardware became obsolete in the process.