No JPEG scans please!

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
mrpijey
Administrator

No JPEG scans please!

Post by mrpijey »

Since most new members (and a lot of existing ones) don't read any of the contribution guides I've been working on I apparently need to point this out in an announcement...:

JPEG files are not accepted as scans!

Almost every upload that comes these days are bundled with these wretched jpegs. There's a reason why we don't want them. It doesn't matter if you scan them at 2000000dpi or if you have really good arguments of why lossy jpegs are better than lossless TIF, PNG, BMP etc. We simply don't want them. Yes, PNG/TIF/BMP files are larger in size, but for a good reason. The same reason why FLAC files are larger than MP3...

And please, don't come with the excuse that your scanner software doesn't support anything else than JPEG. I've seen tons and tons of scanner software ranging from the late 80's to the current junk they ship with low end OEM scanners today and they all support at least TIF, which is perfectly acceptable (and even preferred). And if you got a proper scanner you can just use the scanner software that comes with Windows, it supports all formats just fine. Or you can use Paint.net, Photoshop or any half-decent imaging software to import your scans into and then save.

We appreciate that you take your time to scan your material, but don't waste your time saving them to JPEG, GIF, PDF or any other formats than the ones specified in the guidelines. You will waste your time scanning them into the wrong format, and you'll waste my time having to chase you down asking for scans in a format that's been outlined in countless of topics and guides on this forum already.
  • TIF
  • PNG
  • BMP
That's it. That's the only formats we want. No other. And no need to argue about it please. It takes enough time already to make sure we get the best scans possible (since members also tend to ignore the other parts of my guidelines, such as alignment, margins etc) without having to argue why they are uploaded in a format that by default destroys the image.

To new members: If you upload your scans in any other format than the ones listed above you will not get accepted to the member FTP. Period. Same goes if you decide to ignore the little "600dpi or better" part. We've set 600dpi as a minimum quality, but if you want to scan it at 1200dpi or 2400dpi, go for it. But no less than 600dpi. So if you want a quick process of your uploads follow the guidelines (found in my signature, and a quick one on the contribution page) and we'll all be happy. You for getting quick access to the FTP, me for getting a good upload that takes minimum work to process and upload for everyone to enjoy.

Thank you for your time. And thanks to all members that follow my guides and provide us all with good MDF dumps and properly aligned PNG/TIF scans with good margins :).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

rhobariii
Donator

Re: No JPEG scans please!

Post by rhobariii »

I've always did that from the start.
I can't see whats so hard about scanning in PNG.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

It's not that hard to upload an image in png and if you can only upload into jpg fomat then find a png converter and it will convert it into png.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

djljktq_81

Post by djljktq_81 »

Archenemy wrote:It's not that hard to upload an image in png and if you can only upload into jpg fomat then find a png converter and it will convert it into png.
Jpg is lossy. No need to convert from *.jpg. This is bad.
My most wanted stuff from original media (English):
  1. Delphi 2.0(1) Developer
  2. Delphi 4.X Enterprise
  3. Delphi 3.X, 5.X, 6.X Enterprise (Professional)

rhobariii
Donator

Post by rhobariii »

Archenemy wrote:It's not that hard to upload an image in png and if you can only upload into jpg fomat then find a png converter and it will convert it into png.
Wow, you are one of those users that think changing to extension to .png will do the trick.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Converting to PNG is no use. All data that is discarded in JPEG is permanently discarded; converting doesn't help.

Viking

Post by Viking »

It took me only one second for creating a permanent shortcut to automatically scan at 600 dpi PNG with my scanner.
Almost always lost in my PC ...

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

TIFF can contain JPEG data.
http://stackoverflow.com/a/5749550/145278