Getting New Windows 10 Builds Fast

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
giantsteen
Donator

Getting New Windows 10 Builds Fast

Post by giantsteen »

It was found by a few people that you can get builds faster. A small change in the registry allows you to change the branch and how often you get a new build.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability]
"BranchName"="fbl_release"
"ThresholdRiskLevel"="high"
"ThresholdOptedIn"=dword:00000001
"ThresholdInternal"=dword:00000001
It may download but refuse to install or both. Not sure. Maybe we can get it to work or something?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Getting New Windows 10 Builds Fast

Post by AlphaBeta »

I remember Microsoft referencing this Control Panel item on the Preview webpage.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

So what exactly do you change? The Branch name? Or the RiskLevel?

What other values are available for the Branch name?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

On account with UAC and on Administrator "I got Failed to download the new preview build, please try again later. 0x80246017" after pressing Download now.

Spider-Vice
Donator

Post by Spider-Vice »

Would this actually mean you get builds only released internally or what? I'd assume it will require a MS dev domain.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... q#faq=tab4
To change when preview builds are installed, open PC settings, click Upgrade and recovery, click Preview builds, and then click Change the time my PC installs preview builds.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

giantsteen wrote:It was found by a few people that you can get builds faster.
You will make a fine journalist, having honed your ability to jump the gun to perfection.

This actually has no impact, and will possibly prevent you getting future new builds through this method.

Internally, this would almost certainly have an impact, but there's no server infrastructure publicly accessible, and from my own testing, it doesn't even seem to send a request that would mean something - it does make a request but it's a standard windows update request, and doesn't change according to the information you enter in the UI.

But thanks for trying. I guess.

Terra854

Post by Terra854 »

Have anyone tried to use other build labs to update Windows(fbl_xxxxx)?

lemacx

Post by lemacx »

I tried "fbl_lad_dev01" as seen in the screenshot in the original post, and it displays the same error message (could not be downloaded) BUT with a different error code!

fbl_release gives error code 0x80246017
fbl_lad_dev01 gives error code 0x80240024

EDIT:

It says that there IS a new build, but it fails to download
Last edited by lemacx on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

hounsell wrote:
giantsteen wrote:It was found by a few people that you can get builds faster.
You will make a fine journalist, having honed your ability to jump the gun to perfection.

This actually has no impact, and will possibly prevent you getting future new builds through this method.

Internally, this would almost certainly have an impact, but there's no server infrastructure publicly accessible, and from my own testing, it doesn't even seem to send a request that would mean something - it does make a request but it's a standard windows update request, and doesn't change according to the information you enter in the UI.

But thanks for trying. I guess.
Thanks a lot hounsell. I consider myself to be a good journalist. I never tried it myself, nor do I have the time, I just posted the pictures here from others.

Have a nice day!

Terra854

Post by Terra854 »

lemacx wrote:I tried "fbl_lad_dev01" ...
You spelled "lab" wrongly

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

giantsteen wrote:I consider myself to be a good journalist. I [...] just posted the pictures here from others.
Oh the irony... ;-)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Darkstar wrote:Oh the irony... ;-)
Welcome to internet journalism, where fact checking and knowledge of the subject at hand are frowned upon.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Terra854 wrote:You spelled "lab" wrongly
No. It's lad

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

hounsell wrote:
Darkstar wrote:Oh the irony... ;-)
Welcome to internet journalism, where fact checking and knowledge of the subject at hand are frowned upon.
And welcome to life- because I don't have time to do this. who needs to check facts when there are plenty of people on here willing to do it and are more devoted than I am. I never said it worked, it was something being discussed.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I know it's difficult for a modern internet journalist to understand, but this is precisely why words like "possible", "maybe", etc exist.

So one doesn't have to write a sensationalist topic title and opening sentence that are immediately negated by the facts at hand.

It is misleading to title a topic "Getting New Windows 10 Builds Fast" and open your post with "It was found by a few people that you can get builds faster. A small change in the registry allows you to change the branch and how often you get a new build" when actually, nothing of the sort has been discovered. People wonder where new users get some of their strange ideas from, and the answer is that it's reckless internet journalists who have such a poor grasp of the subject they insist on commenting on, that a fantasist on the finest of mushrooms could write a more accurate assessment of what's going on.

If BA is to provide users with their first experiences of using a beta, then we could at least avoid "experienced" users such as yourself posting such misleading topics. It's always helpful to clearly delineate facts from conjecture. And if you don't know something, just don't comment. Better that people think you a fool as you keep silent than to post your thoughts and remove all doubt on the matter.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

hounsell wrote:I know it's difficult for a modern internet journalist to understand, but this is precisely why words like "possible", "maybe", etc exist.

So one doesn't have to write a sensationalist topic title and opening sentence that are immediately negated by the facts at hand.

It is misleading to title a topic "Getting New Windows 10 Builds Fast" and open your post with "It was found by a few people that you can get builds faster. A small change in the registry allows you to change the branch and how often you get a new build" when actually, nothing of the sort has been discovered. People wonder where new users get some of their strange ideas from, and the answer is that it's reckless internet journalists who have such a poor grasp of the subject they insist on commenting on, that a fantasist on the finest of mushrooms could write a more accurate assessment of what's going on.

If BA is to provide users with their first experiences of using a beta, then we could at least avoid "experienced" users such as yourself posting such misleading topics. It's always helpful to clearly delineate facts from conjecture. And if you don't know something, just don't comment. Better that people think you a fool as you keep silent than to post your thoughts and remove all doubt on the matter.
And if you don't have something nice to say then don't say it. Two wrongs don't make a right. End of conversation.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

I think you need a MS account for this. I have one an I will tell you if it works for me.
EDIT: I can't get it to work.

chrisjose1913
Donator

Post by chrisjose1913 »

Has anyone managed to get a new build yet ?

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

Sign up for the Windows Insider program which gets you the latest builds easily.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

danerewashbeta

Post by danerewashbeta »

Have you got a link to the Insider program?

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Might as well sum this up for some people:

Regardless of that Insider program, none of you will be able to download builds with the "fast" option at the moment.

Someone might figure something out in the future, but it isn't very likely at all. It's very likely that you simply won't be able to actually download a build without a) working at Microsoft or b) being a trusted partner.

You'll have wait for the next public build, just like everyone else regardless of your .reg file applying skills.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

danerewashbeta wrote:Have you got a link to the Insider program?
The link is here: http://insider.windows.com
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

madalin88

Post by madalin88 »

A new Technical Preview is comming soon .

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-p ... oming-soon

My bets are on build 9860

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

madalin88 wrote:My bets are on build 9860
My bets are on it not being 9860.