Lot's of questions.

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
lolcats121

Lot's of questions.

Post by lolcats121 »

Hello, i am a new member to the site and i have a few questions regarding uploading to the FTP server.

Question 1: After reading the page on how to get FTP server access i noticed one of the requirements when uploading a file to the FTP server is that it must be unique. Also the requirement to apply for FTP server access is to upload a unique file, my question is how do i know if an upload i am planning to make is unique if i can't search the FTP server to find out?

Question 2: What do i do with disc scans? According to the thread at http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=29631 when uploading a file an image of the disc the file came from is required, or so i understand. I could be mistaken but if this is the case, where do i put the image? Do i put it in the same archive the file(s) i am uploading are in?

Question 3: How do i name something that has an unknown version? For my first upload i am planning on uploading an Xbox game called "Slot Car Thunder". The thing about console games is that to my limited knowledge there is no way to find out the version number of a console game. So what do i do? If there is a version number, how do i find it? If there is not a version number how should i name the file? According to the thread at http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=11815 "Each upload must have a proper filename. If you can't provide such then add a readme file with any info you can provide with the release. I don't want any filenames like "3dkit_Alpha.zip", "bone.zip" or "Office97.iso". I want full names including version, build (if available) and what beta/rtm stage it is." but there was no info for something that has no known version number.

Question 4: As stated above i am planning on uploading an Xbox game called "Slot Car Thunder" as my first upload. I don't know if it is against the rules or not for someone to do this but i doubt it would hurt to ask; could someone with FTP server access check and see if someone else has it on there? I don't want to be posting duplicates.

If anyone could answer any of these questions i would be grateful, thank you. :)

Lukas Marsik

Re: Lot's of questions.

Post by Lukas Marsik »

lolcats121 wrote:Hello, i am a new member to the site and i have a few questions regarding uploading to the FTP server.

Question 1: After reading the page on how to get FTP server access i noticed one of the requirements when uploading a file to the FTP server is that it must be unique. Also the requirement to apply for FTP server access is to upload a unique file, my question is how do i know if an upload i am planning to make is unique if i can't search the FTP server to find out?

Question 2: What do i do with disc scans? According to the thread at http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=29631 when uploading a file an image of the disc the file came from is required, or so i understand. I could be mistaken but if this is the case, where do i put the image? Do i put it in the same archive the file(s) i am uploading are in?

Question 3: How do i name something that has an unknown version? For my first upload i am planning on uploading an Xbox game called "Slot Car Thunder". The thing about console games is that to my limited knowledge there is no way to find out the version number of a console game. So what do i do? If there is a version number, how do i find it? If there is not a version number how should i name the file? According to the thread at http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=11815 "Each upload must have a proper filename. If you can't provide such then add a readme file with any info you can provide with the release. I don't want any filenames like "3dkit_Alpha.zip", "bone.zip" or "Office97.iso". I want full names including version, build (if available) and what beta/rtm stage it is." but there was no info for something that has no known version number.

Question 4: As stated above i am planning on uploading an Xbox game called "Slot Car Thunder" as my first upload. I don't know if it is against the rules or not for someone to do this but i doubt it would hurt to ask; could someone with FTP server access check and see if someone else has it on there? I don't want to be posting duplicates.

If anyone could answer any of these questions i would be grateful, thank you. :)
A1: The ability of being able to list the files on the FTP is in the planning stage right now, for now just place an offer and sooner or later at least one person will surely find some time to check for the presence of it.
A2: I don't think that the scan placement really matters as of now.
A3: Perhaps share come core files and let other members help you with identifying it.
A4: The game itself is abandonware (10+ years older, no longer made profit from by selling) so it should be alright to upload, can't check the FTP right now though I will later, regarding checking for it, already described it in A1 :)

rhobariii
Donator

Post by rhobariii »

1. Just ask someone with FTP Access. I can help :)

2. Put the dump and scans into a ZIP/RAR file and upload it.

3. If the game is a the final version, and not a beta one, then it can be uploaded without a version number.

4. We don't have it on the FTP, and it's from 2003, so it should be accepted. :)

Hope this helps.

lolcats121

Post by lolcats121 »

In that case i will upload it later today, thank you so much for the help.

Interesting.. i just tried to dump the disc but i noticed that the only file on the disc is a video of the xbox splash screen.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You can't dump an Xbox disc by regular means, you will need a modified Xbox or some other means other than a mere PC and drive.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

lolcats121

Post by lolcats121 »

Oh ok, ill try a ps2 game then.

rhobariii
Donator

Post by rhobariii »

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=9165
Could this perhaps be whats needed?

lolcats121

Post by lolcats121 »

Kingdom Hearts for ps2

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts for ps2

Tomb Raider for ps1

FTP server got any of those? If not ill upload at least one of them.

EDIT: Just going to upload kingdom hearts and see how it goes.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We don't accept console games unless they are betas.

lolcats121

Post by lolcats121 »

Don't worry, i wasn't able to dump any of them either. I'm at a dead end then, what about PC games? Either way i've run out of things to try so i guess i need to wait until i get other stuff.

This is alot harder than i thought it would be :x

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

PC Games are fine, as long as you dump and scan it correctly.