[REQUEST] Windows 95 Build 405

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Battler
Donator

[REQUEST] Windows 95 Build 405

Post by Battler »

I'm requesting this because this screenshot has been posted on the BA wiki:
http://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.p ... %3A405.png .
This means someone out there has this Build.
If anyone has it, we would all greatly appreciate it if they could share it.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

rhobariii
Donator

Re: [REQUEST] Windows 95 Build 405

Post by rhobariii »

It says the image is uploaded by: DeFacto

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

rhobariii wrote:It says the image is uploaded by: DeFacto
DeFacto nowadays only contributes to the wiki, he doesn't visit the forums anymore.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

I do, actually. This is my new forum account, for those who don't know, because I deactivated my old account some months ago and then decided to return. I have kept my BA Wiki account, though, which I still use for contributing.

As for the build itself: yes, I indeed have it. I found it on some warez disc (Winwares Pro 1995), as a folder dump, naturally. I've made a quick ISO for easier use in VM, which I will upload somewhere for people to download. However, due to the state of the build in question, I will not upload this to BA FTP.

The NFO, provided with this build, also mentions 401, so I guess it was leaked by the same group and could be on some other disc.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

What's so wrong with the build that it can't be uploaded to BA?
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Overdoze wrote:I do, actually. This is my new forum account, for those who don't know, because I deactivated my old account some months ago and then decided to return. I have kept my BA Wiki account, though, which I still use for contributing.

As for the build itself: yes, I indeed have it. I found it on some warez disc (Winwares Pro 1995), as a folder dump, naturally. I've made a quick ISO for easier use in VM, which I will upload somewhere for people to download. However, due to the state of the build in question, I will not upload this to BA FTP.

The NFO, provided with this build, also mentions 401, so I guess it was leaked by the same group and could be on some other disc.
This needs to be uploaded to mega ASAP! Also what does the NFO say? And what is wrong with the build?

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Here it is guys, courtesy of SpaceCore: http://proxima.ringoflightning.net/405.7z . Enjoy!
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

The build is a folder dump (made into a quick ISO) with wrong file dates, also includes NFO and FILE_ID.DIZ. What I meant is that I would just upload it as-is to MEGA or something and let you guys "fix" it. But the link is already available, so there's nothing left for me to do here.

One interesting note about this build: the bootscreen is different, there is a colored border around it which changes color in a rainbow-like fashion.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Battler wrote:Here it is guys, courtesy of SpaceCore: http://proxima.ringoflightning.net/405.7z . Enjoy!
thank you for the build :beta:

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Overdoze wrote:I do, actually. This is my new forum account, for those who don't know, because I deactivated my old account some months ago and then decided to return. I have kept my BA Wiki account, though, which I still use for contributing.

it does not contain bios date right?

i saw it said no protection, from the nfo in the iso

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Dunno honestly, I just made a VM and set the date back to February 95 for precautions. No protection means there's no key required.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

installed it, works fine

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Overdoze: No, no protection means just that, no protection. If this was time-bombed, the .NFO would say so.

Anyway, no, this isn't time-bombed. I installed it fine on Virtual PC 2007 without having to change the date.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Forgot to mention that this appears to be an upgrade version, asked me for a previous Windows version, so I had to do the echo.>c:\ntldr trick.

Courage

Post by Courage »

Just a check: Files are dated 13th February 1995 (before 337's (15th Feb 1995) ). Probably an indication of a branch from earlier builds?

EDIT: A couple of points:

1. This is indeed an upgrade version. You must produce some system files to continue. It doesn't allow you to continue if you fail to do that unlike some later builds with lower build numbers which allow you to continue with a warning. (eg. 347)

2. The bootscreen says February 1995 Release and has a very thin border that goes from blue to red to blue and repeats forever.
It is also the first build to not use the black background for the bootscreen. (Other screens are as the same as 275 onwards.)

3. This appears to be an interim build shipped to some people, as the release notes specifically say 'Windows 95 Build 405' instead of some generic name like 'Windows 95 February 1995 Release'.

4. Unlike later builds, this build, when exiting from MS-DOS mode, instead of booting Windows from the MS-DOS prompt, it displays a question about whether you want to return to Windows. If you select ýes here, it just reboots the machine and startup proceeds as normal.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

nice share, Thanks Battler.
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

dans34
Donator

Post by dans34 »

betaluva wrote:nice share, Thanks Battler.

except it wasnt battler who shared it , it was spacecore/overdoze

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

While that is true, I don't want to start the debate on "who gets the credit" for this or anything. I was the first to find it, and intended to upload it after Battler requested it, but SpaceCore uploaded it first and Battler posted SpaceCore's link. That's about it.

In the end, all that really matters is that this was found and is now available to the community.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

nice share EVERYONE lolzzz : )
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*