MS-DOS 6.22 Supplementary Disk

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
alcid34

MS-DOS 6.22 Supplementary Disk

Post by alcid34 »

So I've downloaded MS-DOS 6.22 from your servers and I've noticed a fourth disk, which is a supplementary disk. What exactly does it do?
Pokemon Master Timothy, the greatest Pokemon Brainiac since Ash Ketchum, at your service. I'm also a beginner programmer and Windows Lover!

Overdoze

Re: MS-DOS 6.22 Supplementary Disk

Post by Overdoze »

It contains additional programs and stuff which are not installed by default, like the DOS shell.

Install it with "setup C:\<foldername>" and see for yourself.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Stannieman

Post by Stannieman »

I have a set of original Dutch 6.22 floppies but don't have the 4th disc. I do have one with CD-ROM drivers but not the real Supplementary one. So I guess not everyone got it, or only if you really bought DOS (mine came with an OEM machine).

EDIT: The stuff on the CD-ROM floppy is all English, so I think it doesn't belong to the actual DOS set but is some extra thing from the OEM (HighScreen).
If ur a pirate, say arrr!

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

The MS-DOS 6.22 that came with my 486 back in 1996 was OEM but it had the Supplementary Disk. So I guess it largely depends on whether the OEM wanted to include it or not.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

If you really are keen on getting a NLS version of DOSSHELL for DOS 6, try going for MS-DOS 6.00. That's the last version that has it.

MS-DOS was sold to OEMs as 'MS-DOS and additional tools'. The additional tools might be glarked from comparing MS-DOS 6 with PC-DOS 6, which doesn't include microsoft's offering. PC-DOS 6 came on 4, later 5 diskettes, included a licenced backversion of pc-tools. On the other hand, microsoft included a clipped version of the current norton utilities.

the supplemental disk contains an english language update of what was left out of msdos 5 and 6. If you really need NLS support, you are best to look at msdos 5 or 6.00, and use these utilities.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- os2fan2: The supplemental disk exists in other languages too. Yes, the installation script is always in English but the programs themselves are in other languages too. I just compared the supplemental disks of German and Italian MS-DOS 6.22, and the sizes of DOSSHELL.EX_ differ for example, and it's not difficult to know why.

Also, the supplemental disk doesn't only include MS-DOS 5.00/6.00 stuff left out from 6.2x - it also includes stuff like AccessDOS (forgot exactly what it does), and AutoMount for DoubleSpace/DriveSpace-compressed floppies.

I also think such a supplemental disk also exists for MS-DOS 6.20.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

On the other hand, i have not been able to download a supplemental disk for DOS in german or french.

One of my projects is to see if i could make something like a generic DOS utility set in some fremm-language. The thing i mentioned was how i sourced MS-DOS-SHELL. PC-DOS included dosshell all the way through, so it's easy to get that.

Regarding shortcut.exe, i managed to get a german version of it from the Win95, and copied the reources into the english NT version from reskit 4 supp 2.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- os2fan2: Most MS-DOS 6.22 versions on the BA FTP have the supplemental disk.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Battler: did you check the language on them? The german and french sets have an english supplemental disk.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- os2fan2: Expand the individual files, such as DOSSHELL.EX_ to DOSSHELL.EXE. Yes, the .BAT files, .TXT files, and AccessDOS in all are English, but the rest is localized.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I checked the german one: it's in english. The french dosshell is in french. Edlin is the english one. Localisation is patchy.

ms-dos

Post by ms-dos »

well I have a set of 6.22 and it came with the 4 disk :idea:
welcome to your death :o

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

ms-dos wrote:well I have a set of 6.22 and it came with the 4 disk :idea:
Every MS-DOS 6.22 have 4 diskettes.
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)