Xbox system software

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
RevoltXS

Xbox system software

Post by RevoltXS »

Hello.

I was just wondering : did someone ever find out what operating system is the Xbox running on ? Speculations were, at a time, that it was a custom Windows NT. Other speculations were that it was based on a custom Windows 2000 kernel. I don't have any more information on that.

Does anyone know more ?

computebrute
Donator

Re: Xbox system software

Post by computebrute »

Yes, the Xbox runs on a custom NT kernel, but it isn't a modified version of Windows 2000 or NT. It exposes APIs similar to APIs found in Microsoft Windows, such as DirectX 8.1. The user interface for the Xbox is called the Xbox Dashboard. I have an ISO of it.

RevoltXS

Post by RevoltXS »

computebrute wrote:Yes, the Xbox runs on a custom NT kernel, but it isn't a modified version of Windows 2000 or NT. It exposes APIs similar to APIs found in Microsoft Windows, such as DirectX 8.1. The user interface for the Xbox is called the Xbox Dashboard. I have an ISO of it.
It seems to be pretty much the same story for the Xbox 360 system software. Its U.I. and itself are officially called "Xbox 360 Dashboard" by Microsoft. A pretty blurry story in my opinion…

dans34
Donator

Post by dans34 »

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

yeah, xboxkrnl was forked from Win2k (NT 5).

The Xbone on the other hand uses NT 6.2..

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I always thought xbox is a stripped down version of w2k, less various layers like security.