Where the iPhone was born

Discuss all iOS versions.
notsure

Where the iPhone was born

Post by notsure »

Here is an early prototype machine that Apple rigged together to test early prototype iPhone software.
The full article is very interesting as it describes how the machine is put together, and the environment in which the iPhone was created.

after64k

Re: Where the iPhone was born

Post by after64k »

There's a lot of (news) articles that just get posted for the sake of it, but THIS is honestly worth interest (or at least to me, since I like Apple products)! :-D

Thanks for posting; it should definitely be fun to have a look at the WSJ article.

WindozeNT

Post by WindozeNT »

Also, during the development process of iOS 1.0 for the iPhone 2G, there was a prototype app called SkankPhone that Apple used to test functionality with. I don't know if it's on here yet (don't have FTP access), but if not, I can provide it for those interested. It also supposedly runs on iOS 1.x. However, it doesn't even launch on 2.x and higher because their system architecture is completely different than 1.x's, disabling 1.x apps from running on them.
Last edited by WindozeNT on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of WindozeNT Software and creator of OpenSmash

En Ex

Post by En Ex »

That's a pretty fascinating setup. I love that Apple's first piece of smartphone software was tested out with an old corded phone.