How to install WMP12 on Windows XP

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
raff1992

How to install WMP12 on Windows XP

Post by raff1992 »

Hi everybody! Is there a way/tutorial to install Windows Media Player 12 on Windows XP? Thanks for the answer! :)

Wheatley
Donator

Re: How to install WMP12 on Windows XP

Post by Wheatley »

It's not possible afaik.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

No, you can't. The last version of Windows Media Player that works under Windows XP is Windows Media Player 11. If you want you can get a WMP 12 style skin for WMP 11, you can found some on these on deviantART.

Ricardo95
Donator

Post by Ricardo95 »

The correct answer is that you can't install anything newer than Windows Media Player 11 on Windows XP by default. I don't think anyone here has tried to modify something to make it run, so we don't know if it's possible by doing a hackjob.

leomate

Post by leomate »

I think firstly it need port WMP12 to Vista first, after success it, i think more easier to port from vista patched WMP12 to XP. Or wait from samuka shorthorn project

raff1992

Post by raff1992 »

Oh yes, I know that the latest version of this player for XP is WMP11. :) And infact, I meant how to port WMP12 on XP by doing some hacks and not how to install it directly. :)

skywalker06
Donator

Post by skywalker06 »

I found a youtube video on how to get it to work on XP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd8ngUqC8EU

raff1992

Post by raff1992 »

Oh good, it seems that works fine, even if there isn't "in execution" mode (this ---> http://img.clubic.com/03561270-photo-wi ... ecteur.jpg).

However, I've read in the Youtube video comments that this is a way to simulate only WMP12 interface, but the real engine is of WMP11...

nerd70

Post by nerd70 »

Actually, I believe that you can pull the files out of Win7, zip them, and try them out.
However, like the other people in this community, I don't think it will work.

ExplicitNuM5

Post by ExplicitNuM5 »

How about a Windows version number hack?
XDA-Developers: mr_verystock
Facebook: ___ ___ng
Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

nerd70

Post by nerd70 »

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:How about a Windows version number hack?
Actually, I put more faith in it now that you said that.
However, one time I was trying to hack a whistler build to get the service packs to install, and I tryed changing the version number, and it didn't work.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Sometimes things aren't released for certain systems because of deeper technical issues. In such cases, changing the OS version would hardly accomplish anything if the program can't run anyway...

I'm guessing WMP12 relies on something exclusive to Windows 7 and later, so perhaps that's why they didn't release it for Vista and XP.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Homers
Location: Bliss, Sonoma, CA ...... (the most beautiful place in the world >>>)

Post by Homers »

Changing NT version, build number and adding APIs from Windows 7 to XP would probably enable the installation
Long live Windows XP!

ImageImage

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Homers wrote:adding APIs from Windows 7 to XP
Which is probably a no.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Changing NT version to 6.1 or above by using the less-known "Full installation from an NT 6.x install media" method will give you a working copy of Windows Media Player 12.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Courage

Post by Courage »

@Wheatley:
That's probably the only way to get WMP 12 working without doing a hackjob. *hehe* (In my honest opinion, also the best way since XP is not supported anymore.)

@OP:
There are three main reasons why a certain version of a software is not released for a certain OS:

1. Either the OS or the specific version of the software is not supported anymore at the time of release.
(At the very least, not in 'mainstream support', as XP was in October 2009 when Windows 7 along with WMP 12 was released.)

2. A certain critical component of the specific version of the software is not compatible or causes severe problems with the OS.
(eg. VPC 2007 SP1 in Windows 8. It can be installed and run, but vmm.sys, which is a critical component of the software, crashes Windows 8 when starting a VM.)

3. The specific version of the software is not compatible with the OS at all.
(eg. WMP 12 on Windows 2000.)

In the case of reason 1, a solution to make the software run on the OS may or may not be found.
In the cases of reasons 2 and 3, a solution usually cannot be found without hacking the software and/or replacing base components of the software with newer or older versions.

Your case suffers from reason 1 and either of reasons 2 or 3. In this case, Wheatley's solution is the best IMHO.

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

You can't get WMP 12 on Windows XP. Also, there isn't any installation file for WMP 12. Only way to get WMP 12 is to install Windows NT 6.1 or later.
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)

dreamsmasher

Post by dreamsmasher »

Is it possible that WMP12 relies on some Aero specific calls for how it looks and feels? I'm not great with digging to find this stuff out, but it's possible that may be what would keep it from working as a straight install.

MichaelD

Post by MichaelD »

I honestly doubt it'll work - APIs/structures/etc is pretty different between Windows XP and 7. I could be wrong, though. If somebody can prove that, I'll be pretty impressed!

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Why would you want it in the first place?