Windows 9 Speculations :D

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.

Metro? Desktop? Something else?

I'd like to see Desktop Environment
51%
I'd like to see Metro Style Environment
11%
I'd like to see something NEW!
39%

Total votes: 57

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Windows 9 Speculations :D

Post by ThePreAlpha »

Who doesn't love speculations? Let's talk about what we think will be in Windows 9, what we want in Windows 9 and what we don't want to see!

It's been a long time since I've been on here and I love a good discussion thread :P
grumpy

PingTest

Re: Windows 9 Speculations :D

Post by PingTest »

I'm up for what ever Microsoft throws at me. I am a solid Microsoft Windows fan and I can adapt to major changes within a day or 2.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

PingTest wrote:I'm up for what ever Microsoft throws at me. I am a solid Microsoft Windows fan and I can adapt to major changes within a day or 2.
I'm usually open minded except I refused to adapt to Windows 8. The whole focusing around tablets and mobiles over laptops and desktops, and the terrible interface that wasn't mouse friendly... *shudder*
grumpy

Fusionfan45

Post by Fusionfan45 »

I personally want a heavy focus on the desktop, with the return of being able to see-through windows, as I use it as a feature for certain programs when expecting notifications. (For example, I run Firefox maximized with Glass My Fox making the entire top of the window glass. If I reply to a topic on Steam, I'll leave the main Steam window behind Firefox, and I'll see the green "hey you got a notif" box as things happen.)

I'd also like to see more Windows tablets using metro, as it's a good mobile interface.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

Fusionfan45 wrote:I personally want a heavy focus on the desktop, with the return of being able to see-through windows, as I use it as a feature for certain programs when expecting notifications. (For example, I run Firefox maximized with Glass My Fox making the entire top of the window glass. If I reply to a topic on Steam, I'll leave the main Steam window behind Firefox, and I'll see the green "hey you got a notif" box as things happen.)

I'd also like to see more Windows tablets using metro, as it's a good mobile interface.
I understand what you mean but I think they could come up with something new. Like maybe a desktop that's different would be good instead of the same things with a different explorer.exe and modified transparency and themes, much like the differences in vista and 7. I'm sorta bored of desktop, and metro wasn't the answer. They need public feedback to get it right.
grumpy

Eggs6131

Post by Eggs6131 »

I'd like to see the Start menu make a return as the default option, with the Start screen being an optional extra available in the installation and add/remove menu. They should return Aero and the gadgets, and of course the option for no theme (they took out the Windows Classic shell according to some). The logon screen from Vista and 7 should also make a comeback. The plain "lock screen" with no options can be confusing :?

They should also have several versions:

Home for PC, Business for PC and Ultimate for PC (where everything above is the default)
and
Home for Tablets, Business for Tablets and Ultimate for Tablets (where Start screen is enabled by default)

Here's an example of one of the boxes for it as well :)

That's just my two cents anyway.
Last edited by Eggs6131 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... what are you looking at?

Windows_OS_X_Wheezy

Post by Windows_OS_X_Wheezy »

I just want a Metro Desktop. As it is most things are inconsistent. Begone Aero! Aero's nice and all but a change would be nice.

Fusionfan45

Post by Fusionfan45 »

ThePreAlpha wrote:I understand what you mean but I think they could come up with something new. Like maybe a desktop that's different would be good instead of the same things with a different explorer.exe and modified transparency and themes, much like the differences in vista and 7. I'm sorta bored of desktop, and metro wasn't the answer. They need public feedback to get it right.
My view really is this- the desktop as it is now is absolutely great, but can be improved a bunch. It doesn't need to be completely replaced, or replaced at all. The improvements I'd like to see are less out of boredom, and more out of the want for a better flow of information. For example, I'd like to see interactive tiles on the new start menu, and the ability to see various information (i.e remaining disk space, network usage, cpu usage) just by moving the mouse over to a section of the screen, similar to what I'm doing now with rainmeter and the show desktop button, but better.

Just a few of the points I'd like to see
- Improved and new functions
- A focus on ease of use for the average user, while still allowing the power user to do whatever they want.
- A better flow of information, which isn't cut off by another environment.
- The return of Microsoft experimenting with new functions and looks, while still allowing users to use old ones for a few versions. For example, WinXP introduced a new start menu. You could use the old start menu in XP and Vista. The majority of people liked the new start menu, it had a few slight improvements in 7, and became the only option. The same thing goes for visual styles, too. Windows basic is an updated Luna, Windows classic is the 9x/pre-XP NT theme, etc.
- This is optional, but as someone who is excited over new visual styles, I just want it to look good, haha.

Anyways, that's my view, I prefer evolution to revolution.

user312

Post by user312 »

I'd like to see Desktop Environment.

In particular, I'd like the Start Menu to be added in Windows 9.

jtmccutcheon98

Post by jtmccutcheon98 »

I would like metro apps to be available on the desktop in windows. I would also like for the start menu to be an option.

The touch-pad gestures need to go.

Also, I would like metro app updates (including updates such as Windows 9.1) to be in the same place as Windows Updates. I hate having to use the Windows Store updater and Windows Update, when all the updates could be in the same place.

ehea617

[DELETED]

Post by ehea617 »

[DELETED]
Last edited by ehea617 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

I like all of these points. It's nice to see how people want W9 to pan out. But now, what do we think will be in windows 9?
grumpy

Fusionfan45

Post by Fusionfan45 »

ThePreAlpha wrote:But now, what do we think will be in windows 9?
Aside from what was confirmed at Build, (Start menu, metro on the desktop) I would expect an improved version of the Metro visual style, the interactive tiles that are being experimented with, I think there's going to be more of a focus on the cloud for storing files, and syncing them between devices.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

No doubt in my mind there will be much focus on cloud storage.
Offtopic Comment
This usually requires good internet speeds which is a pain in the arse for people like me who live down in Yorkshire in the UK.
I hope that they do improve speed for us desktop users. No matter what sort of killer setup you have, windows just doesn't use it properly, unlike Linux.
grumpy

Fusionfan45

Post by Fusionfan45 »

ThePreAlpha wrote:I hope that they do improve speed for us desktop users. No matter what sort of killer setup you have, windows just doesn't use it properly, unlike Linux.
Offtopic Comment
Huh, odd. It's been the exact opposite for me, personally, with Linux always working terribly, and Windows running at top speed on my mediocre rig.
Something that worries me and makes me happy at the same time is that one of the goals for the Windows team is to bring the minimum RAM requirements down from 1GB to 512MB. The reason I'm a bit worried about it is that visual quality for everyone might be sacrificed so that lower end machines can get better speed, similar to the death of 8's Aero version for the sake of battery life on mobile devices.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

I know what you mean! I agree that yes they should be making things better for low end systems HOWEVER they have to and I mean have to make the OS good for people with high-end setups! Windows 8 to me was ugly and boring.
Offtopic Comment
I use Windows 7 with the custom explorer theme Elune. It's magical, and perfect and that's how it should be in my opinion
grumpy

Fusionfan45

Post by Fusionfan45 »

Spotted this in this video, about 40 seconds in.

Of course, concepts can be thrown around a lot and mean nothing, but it's still intriguing.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

Fusionfan45 wrote:Image
Spotted this in this video, about 40 seconds in.

Of course, concepts can be thrown around a lot and mean nothing, but it's still intriguing.
Nicely spotted. I can't wait for W9 to be finished or betas to start leaking :D
grumpy

SpiralVortex

Post by SpiralVortex »

Eggs6131 wrote:, and of course the option for no theme (they took out the Windows Classic shell according to some).
Those "some" would be wrong!

The "classic" windowing system is still there, but MS has gone to extraordinary lengths to hide it from you. This thread has more info, but it's easy enough to use an OLE applet to break DWM in Word, which shows that underneath it's the same as it ever was. Well, since 1995 anyway...

It's sheer bloody-mindedness by Microsoft that it's no longer a user-selectable option.
Last edited by SpiralVortex on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThePreAlpha
Donator

Post by ThePreAlpha »

SpiralVortex wrote:
Eggs6131 wrote:, and of course the option for no theme (they took out the Windows Classic shell according to some).
Those "some" would be wrong!

The "classic" windowing system is still there, but MS has gone to extraordinary lengths to hide it from you. This thread has more info, but it's easy enough to use an OLE applet to break DWM in Word, which shows that underneath it's the same as it ever was. Well, since 1995 anyway...

It's sheer bloody-mindedness by Microsoft that it's no longer a user-selectable option.
Wow... I can imagine it feel very strange to use W8 in Classic mode as it really does show the truth of what Windows is. Almost eery.
grumpy

SpiralVortex

Post by SpiralVortex »

ThePreAlpha wrote: Wow... I can imagine it feel very strange to use W8 in Classic mode as it really does show the truth of what Windows is. Almost eery.
If you use the Windows NT5 pre-release control panel applet (as linked in the "fun with DWM" thread) under Windows 8, you can see the names of the themes have been removed, but they're still there. Here's what happens if you use the default Windows 2000 theme - if you then break DWM, you get the screenshot I showed earlier.

Back on topic, I'd hope for more polish to the desktop and a reversion away from pointless Metro-ification (eg the network popup, or the "tap to choose what happens" toast).

Daniel Pereira
Donator

Post by Daniel Pereira »

In my honest opinion, they must make Metro be disabled by default in PCs. Why? Because that interface surely isn't made for PCs... Big square buttons, full screen Win3.1-like program manager, full screen apps that can only be closed by dragging.... Some people will surely tell me that I am against innovations or that I cannot adapt myself to new features. I can adapt very well to that, but, this isn't made for PCs. I want one REAL PC OS for my REAL PC, not one half-pc-tablet OS.
Formely known as DualUser

HatefulOfHollow

Post by HatefulOfHollow »

I don't mean to be pessimistic about Windows 9, but I don't have particularly high expectations. Of course, one would expect that Microsoft would learn from Windows 8's shortcomings, however, once you disable the Metro interface with something like Classic Shell, it's definitely not as bad. The only occurrences that would hinder future development is the deprecation of previous technologies, i.e. mostly the support for older games. Somewhat off-topic, Microsoft would have taken a radically different direction if it were still under Steve Ballmer's leadership. All these mobile PC's--ahem, surface-- may look nice, but they've derailed completely on the subject of desktop PC's. I won't demonize Microsoft anymore for their such desire to imitate Apple, Microsoft's strong point will always be with the Personal Computer, in my opinion, not with mobile technology.

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

the Metro thing is easy to fix, at some point during Windows install a window should ask you:
Do you want to boot straight to the desktop? ( display a image of a default Windows desktop)
or Do you want to boot directly to the Start screen (display a image of the Start screen)

as for Windows 9.0 ,KEEP THE DAMNED START MENU ON ALL DESKTOP COMPUTERS, that's all i ask.( and a non-flat theme would be nice)
Last edited by betaluva on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

Windows_OS_X_Wheezy

Post by Windows_OS_X_Wheezy »

Windows 8.1 Update 1 automatically boots non-touch users to the Desktop. But I'd have to agree with you, some better mouse-keyboard controls would be welcome.