Jurassic Park: Trespasser - source code

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
VendorX

Jurassic Park: Trespasser - source code

Post by VendorX »

I have Jurassic Park: Trespasser source code with util (level editor and bunch of 3rd party applications) - if someone is interested, I can upload.

BTW: this game definitely should be preserved - it's a legend, where 'first implementation..." is repeated many times.

Downloads:
Demos.
Editor_Alpha.
Editor.
Images.
Mods.
Patches.
Source code.
Utilities.
Winter_Contest_2011.

Additional media:
Video playlist - playthrough with commentary (history, technical stuff etc) - very instructive...
Postmortem: DreamWorks Interactive's Trespasser - interesting article, I encourage you to read because you can find the many answers to certain questions.

Ps: Source code is untouched (originally published by DWI). All links are active... Have fun.
Last edited by VendorX on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 12 times in total.

GordonFreeman

Re: Jurassic Park: Trespasser - source code

Post by GordonFreeman »

You defiantly upload it!

FronzelNeekburm

Post by FronzelNeekburm »

The Source code? What an interesting find! I beg you to upload it, I am already curious about it. :)

PeterPanPirate

Post by PeterPanPirate »

VendorX wrote:I have Jurassic Park: Trespasser source code with util (level editor and bunch of 3rd party applications) - if someone is interested, I can upload.

BTW: this game definitely should be preserved - it's a legend, where 'first implementation of..." is repeated many times.
Please do.
Offtopic Comment
I still have the game in my posesion
I'm a spider

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

OK guys, give me sometime - will clean-up (still there is bunch of my experiments in it...), upload to Dropbox and update my first post.
PeterPanPirate wrote:I still have the game in my posesion
Yeah, me too - even I play time to time... :D I love this game...
There was one guy, who wanted to port whole game to CryEngine2, but I think project is not active any more. Here is his site.
Also on Trespasser community - you can find many interesting stuff too.
...and some help on Trespasser File Formats

dans34
Donator

Post by dans34 »

VendorX wrote:OK guys, give me sometime - will clean-up (still there is bunch of my experiments in it...), upload to Dropbox and update my first post.

could you expand on thoose experiments you did , ie what where they & what idd they do ?

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

dans34 wrote: could you expand on thoose experiments you did , ie what where they & what idd they do ?
It's just a bunch of mods and RE (Reverse-Engineering) stuff - most of them comes from the time before I found JP: T source code.

dans34
Donator

Post by dans34 »

VendorX wrote:
dans34 wrote: could you expand on thoose experiments you did , ie what where they & what idd they do ?
It's just a bunch of mods and RE (Reverse-Engineering) stuff - most of them comes from the time before I found JP: T source code.

if possible could you upload the mods/experiments somewhere (becuase i know BA is anal about non geniune/modded stuff)

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

First post will be constantly updated.

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

I'm using the 0.45 version of TresEd, I think thats the latest one, it was released in 2003.

edit, ah yep, you linked it too, its the Nov. 2003 version

edit2: also mb its worth to mention that "jungle road", "ingen town" (2 different) alpha TP levels were released with 3ds max source files on TresCom (jungle road looks much similar to the one mentioned in the 1997 walkthru').
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha

FronzelNeekburm

Thanks a lot for the source. It's interesting and also entertaining (If you read all the programmers comments). I find the AI part especially interesting, the dino AI seems to have so much more potential than you would guess from the official release.

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

FronzelNeekburm wrote:Thanks a lot for the source. It's interesting and also entertaining (If you read all the programmers comments).
Yeah, it's amazing how advance this engine was... Compared to other engines - at that time - it was a revolution in 3d technology. Even now, the artificial intelligence of animals is more complex than the current games. Everything about this engine is the precursor to what we see today ...
FronzelNeekburm wrote: I find the AI part especially interesting, the dino AI seems to have so much more potential than you would guess from the official release.
In release version -because no animation in the game is pre-animated (was generated automatically through their AI) and system bugs in the artificial intelligence routines made it so that they would actually stop moving, unable to do anything at all - a quick fix was hard-coded that locked all dinosaurs’ anger at maximum, leaving all other emotions (fear, happiness, hunger, among many others) at zero, leaving the dinosaurs ultimately simplistic in their goals.

FronzelNeekburm

Awww i see, that actually makes sense. What a shame... Looking at the code I think they spent a lot of research into the AI - just to dump it all in the final release. Maybe imma try to compile the "non fixed" version if i got time. At least from looking at the source that should give the dinosaurs much more realistic AI with fear, hunger and so on. Not sure what caused the freeze, maybe if 2 competing emotions are at the same level? But should have been an easy fix if the developers time line wasn't so short.

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

FronzelNeekburm wrote: What a shame... Looking at the code I think they spent a lot of research into the AI - just to dump it all in the final release. Maybe imma try to compile the "non fixed" version if i got time. At least from looking at the source that should give the dinosaurs much more realistic AI with fear, hunger and so on.
Yeah, it's a shame... Imagine, artificial intelligence with relatively normal behavior:
i.e. fear -> attack or escape (depends on animal type, health condition etc.)
FronzelNeekburm wrote: Not sure what caused the freeze, maybe if 2 competing emotions are at the same level? But should have been an easy fix if the developers time line wasn't so short.
Most probably, because of infinite loop in call to activity rating system - better debug system should do the job.

Whole AI (include animation system) can be easily ported to the engine (Unity, UE2/3 etc.) with access to the control of single bones. It will be great to see artificial intelligence like this one in the gameplay. Maybe one day I'll try to do it...

For now, I'm working on a new GRF exporter (the old one can export models only to .3ds format, but there is enough information in the package to reconstruct also the skeleton) with support for .psk/.fbx.

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

Could anyone help to rebuild the dir structure (with the content ofc, or just info about what should be in which dir) in the src? I suppose the 'Trespas2\drop\smoke\game' dir should contain the data and setup folders from the retail disc or from the beta, but there is a template dir too mentioned in the src, and many others, I guess not all of them is necessary now.

FronzelNeekburm

Actually in the file released by VendorX someone already got into the idea of re-compiling stuff I think because there are XML-Style project files from eclipse - which afaik did not yet exist when this game was programmed. So maybe someone already fumbled a bit in this before.

However - as far as I can tell the source dir is original and untouched. Also the BuildTools dir is original. If you use buildcopy.bat it checks if the smoke (codename for the beta???) dir exists and if not creates it.

tresspass is the DOS Version, TresspassAdv the win95 one.

Did you try the buildtools a bit? I think you prolly need to remove some stuff like copying from sourcesafe dir and such for obvioius reasons (we dont have that dir...). Otherwise looks promising but i didnt have time to play with it yet,

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

I think visual studio 6 or older would be needed for most of the stuff, Im using vs2012 for our project, but converting doesn't really work. Gonna look around for oldies :D

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

dezodor wrote:I think visual studio 6 or older would be needed for most of the stuff, Im using vs2012 for our project, but converting doesn't really work. Gonna look around for oldies :D
Critical Applications: 3D Studio Max 1.2, 2.5, Photoshop 4.0, Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, Visual SourceSafe 5.0
Intended platform: Windows 95/98/NT

Last thing: I forgot about some additional stuff - you can find it in my first post.

Triver

Post by Triver »

So, uh did anyone succeeed yet in compiling the whole project with VS6?

I tried it out of curiosity, got some wrong include directories which I believe I was able to fix but now this happens:

Code: Select all

--------------------Configuration: Loader - Win32 Final--------------------
Compiling...
AsyncLoader.cpp
SaveFile.cpp
source\Lib/Sys/DebugConsole.hpp(172) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
        (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1794) 
         Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++ 
         Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
SmartBuffer.cpp
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\jp2_pc\Source\Lib\Sys\SmartBuffer.cpp(0) : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\documents and settings\admin\desktop\jp2_pc\build\final\loader\vc60.idb'
// and some more errors like the last one
Generating Code...
Error executing cl.exe.

GUIApp.exe - 8 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Also are there any people currently actively working on reviving this code and updating it to work with nowadays standards?
I found a mentioning somewhere that the source was leaked at the end of 2012 so I would imagine that at least some people tried to do something in that direction since then?
Especially since its considered to be a groundbreaking game with its innovations but badly received due to its many bugs and issues.

edit: After doing a quick search about these errors it might be because VS6 doesn't work so well with WinXP afterall (compatibility issue). I might try it later again on Win98 or something like that.
I don't know about the first error though, I hope its also only a compatibility error...

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

Triver wrote:Also are there any people currently actively working on reviving this code and updating it to work with nowadays standards?
If you like this game and appreciate its contribution to the development of 3D technology, please show some respect and let she rest in peace - there is already enough bad opinions... I've released this source code only for educational purpose (to help people port this game - especially AI - to the newer engine), not to mess with.

Triver

Post by Triver »

I just asked out of curiosity, I don't plan to start something like that on my own.

Besides that when I said "updating to work with nowadays standards" I meant making the game fully compatible again with nowadays systems, fixing bugs and re-adding things that weren't included because of a rushed release like you said (for example the whole AI system), not completely change everything and put some things in it that were never meant to be there.

Why would that be a bad thing to do? Everyone knows its an old game and no one expects anything more from it than how we know it today. And by showing off some features that didn't make it into the game it might just change the bad opinions people have about the game and give a better idea of how great it really was.

But I don't want to start a discussion like this here, as I said I don't mean to start anything in that direction, I just don't understand why you think its better if the game stays like this in our memories (very innovative but rather buggy and not very playable) when there is clearly a chance to improve that.

VendorX

Post by VendorX »

Triver wrote: ... Besides that when I said "updating to work with nowadays standards" I meant making the game fully compatible again with nowadays systems, fixing bugs and re-adding things that weren't included because of a rushed release like you said (for example the whole AI system), not completely change everything and put some things in it that were never meant to be there.

Why would that be a bad thing to do? Everyone knows its an old game and no one expects anything more from it than how we know it today. And by showing off some features that didn't make it into the game it might just change the bad opinions people have about the game and give a better idea of how great it really was.
Let me ask one question: are you capable to do that..? Cause even developers and big community wasn't capable to improve the reputation of this game - it was simply too late.
Triver wrote: ... I just don't understand why you think its better if the game stays like this in our memories (very innovative but rather buggy and not very playable) when there is clearly a chance to improve that.
Because I love this game, for me it's something special - a masterpiece... To this day not too many people understand its contribution to the development of 3D technology. I've spent almost ten years attempting to 'fix the damage' and believe me, it's better that way.
Last edited by VendorX on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Triver

Post by Triver »

VendorX wrote:Let me ask one question: are you capable to do that..? Cause even developers and big community wasn't capable to improve the reputation of this game - it was simply too late.
Thats not relevant here since I already said twice that I won't go in that direction. But frankly speaking I don't know if I would be capable of succeeding in such a task, I would have to dig into the whole project first.

However you have to consider two major advantages we have that the original developers didn't:
- Technology: We have much better and faster hardware to process things (JPT was quite hardware intensive back then if I remember correctly) and software that enables us to do things much more organized and more thorough than it was possible back then (I'm mainly talking about debugging tools and such which are mandatory if you want to find bugs in software, however that would require us to upgrade the source to work with newer Visual Studio versions (or any other development environment than VC++ 6))

- Independency: We don't have a big company on our backs, telling us what to do and how much time we have left to do it. We can take all the time we want, don't need to rush things and thus perhaps need to cut stuff or give up on some features because they are too buggy for the release

And a major advantage that the big community didn't have back then (assuming this was before the source was leaked):
- We have the source code which means we could theoratically do whatever we want with the game, if you don't have that your best bet is to modify the binaries and perhaps extend some limts and/or features here and there, maybe also fix a few bugs but thats about everything you are able to do
Not only is all the cut out stuff not available if you only have the binary but its also a lot of work to reverse engineer the program to figure out what needs to be changed
Last edited by Triver on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FronzelNeekburm

I'd say if you wanna tinker with the source then go for it. Not like any harm would be done to anyone if you do so.

At the moment i lack time, otherwise I'd take a look at it myself.

On a side-note: I downloaded Trespasser Built 96 (Beta) and it is a quite interesting release. If I get the time and it's not on the FTP already imma up it soon.

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

It should be there, the good thing is, we can simply open its maps in TresEd, although after editing, they didnt work for me neither in that build, nor in final. (tried to make the IT level a bit similar to the old walkthru, used the 1998 june variants as base, added a lot more vegetation, and ofc added a palm tree inside the church etc)