WoW Unused Content Exploration

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
Gmod1001
Donator

WoW Unused Content Exploration

Post by Gmod1001 »

For the last two days, I've been exploring a whole host of interesting things within the 2.4.3 release of World of Wacraft: Burning Crusade, using GM commands I've been able to explore a lot of things that I have always wondered about, and have made some interesting discoveries (No doubt, ones that have already been discovered) that have intruiged me beyond belief.

I WANT TO SAY, Before I start that I know almost everything I post here is going to be OLD and KNOWN, but its my first time experiencing it and not just reading about it, and I felt like sharing it.

I decided to show some of the Stormwind Vault, which has been a building of interest for many inside of Stormwind and is the long-unused big brother to the Stockade instance. Now I'm 100% sure I'm not the first person to step foot in here in game, but I decided to share with you my exploration, maybe you'll find it interesting?

This is the building in question which the "Vault" lays, located in the Stormwind Canals just between the Trade District and Old Town.

As we can see, the building is locked up by these annoying Portcullises, one on each entryway into the building. The only way to the interior is either by glitching or teleport commands, which will be my choice method.

The inside of the building, very much the same as the inside of the building that houses the Stockade instance.

The entryway into the instance is near identical to the portal for the Stockade, although it is lacking the whizzing portal animation in the passageway and plays no whirring sound like a finished dungeon portal.

The loading screen image appears to be unique, very cool.

Image snapped the second the instance loaded, you can see it has a much more elaborate naming convention "The Stockade" and "Stormwind Vault", rather then the actual stockade instance which simply says "Stormwind Stockade".
You can also see its name on the map as "Stormwind Vault"".

Using the .gps GM commands in the chat box shows our location as being on Map: 35, a rather low instance number, hinting at this being a rather early inclusion. The map is named "<unused>StormwindPrison", and the zone itself "The Stockade".
Here you can also see the first hallway of the instance, it may look similiar to the Stockade instance, but look at the map and see how complex this gets very quickly. This instance is an exact opposite of the stockade, which was a rather small and straight forward dungeon, this one is sprawling, maze like and generally confusing to navigate due to this version of Wow's lack of instance maps and its very non-monumental design making it hard to tell where you are at any given time.

There isn't much to show on the inside of the instance, it all looks very similiar to it all and the Stockade, its just much larger and more confusing to navigate. I did come across this room, which so far is the most interesting thing I've found in here. Its very large and is near the end of where you would end up if you ran this as an instance, perhaps a final boss room or the like?

I'mma keep exploring and see what other interesting things I can find :3
Last edited by Gmod1001 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wheatley
Donator

Re: WoW Unused Content Exploration

Post by Wheatley »

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. (And no, I don't play WoW, but I do know some stuff about it :P)
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Gmod1001
Donator

Post by Gmod1001 »

Thanks, I am going to add more because I found something that I really need to ask about (I know a few people here who might know the answer). But its unrelated to the Vault instance, I was going to turn the op post into a section with multiple collapsible boxes containing the content related to what the box was titled but I can't seem to make collapsible boxes work on this site for some reason, nor can I make my backup plan, spoiler boxes, work. o.O

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

There's quite a bit of unused content in Wow, even in current builds of the game (Latest build on the PTR server right now is 5.4.0.17260) - For the past ~2 patches, for instance, there has been an unused battleground called Defense of the Alehouse, which is still not even announced, let alone used in-game. The map itself is incomplete, at least according to the minimap files. I have yet to transplant the current files into a working private server franken-build I have lying around for exploration purposes.

There's a handful of zones and instances that have persisted in the game files since alpha. I'm actually currently involved in a little side project where I reveal all the various changes made to the map files since the 0.5.3 leak. I've spent the weekend installing all the leaked vanilla builds in VM's, then copying the installed data to my real machine, for further analysis. I hope to end up creating an 'alphabeta' pack of patches for people to use in v3.3.5 (might not be entirely possible, still investigating this), consisting of each version of the map files. Lots of work, but it should be well worth it, to help keep the history of the game accessible to the majority of people.

In terms of the StormwindPrison, it was removed from the game in Cataclysm, but the mapid still exists in the DBC files, at least indicating that it could make a comeback into the game in the future. Same goes for all the test zones and unused zones, like the EmeraldDream (however, that still exists in the game files, even in the latest PTR build).

There's a couple people out there that collect these builds, but only a handful that understand how the files interact within the game engine, and even fewer that understand the data formats in use by the game. The best resources for this sort of stuff are: http://www.pxr.dk/wowdev/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page and modcraft.superparanoid.de, as well as ownedcore.com (which is also a source for blizzard's engineering department to find the latest game exploits to block).
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

Gmod1001
Donator

Post by Gmod1001 »

I've been really interested in WoW development and history for a very long time, since I can remember being interested even before its release, seeing it in a Blizzard catalog. The old stranglethorn bridge picture with the coming soon message... Yeah, that's nostalgia right there...
Wow is insanely uncleaned when it comes to stuff like that, there are so many items, spells, locations and NPCs that have either been removed in a patch or where never used in the first place (Or are development tests) that just lay vacant in the game files, it makes it an absolute goldmine for people like me who just love to dig in that stuff all day.
I still play the game to this day, with a active subscription, but I haven't messed with that one because I'm a paranoid type. I have messed around quite a bit with Alpha 3368, and I have explored a good portion of 1.12.1, but 2.4.3 is the first version I have got working with my own personal server for testing things, and having access to GM commands and the DB files have taken this to a whole new level, and I'm really excited.
I planned to add a lot of things to this thread, including more unused zones and instances to explore (Old Hyjal with its duplicate of Onyxia's Lair, the un-instanced and extremely creepy crypt under Deadwind Pass, etc), and that should be fun. I'm aware all of this is known and found and old, I just feel like exploring them and making something to read while I'm at it.

StormwindPrison I'm rather sure won't make a comeback, at least not without major changes, its far to maze-like with very little in clear direction and no real landmarks to help make your way around any of it, not to mention its multi-layered and the paths go above and below each other, making a map even rendered a little more useless. The EmeraldDream is STILL slated to be the focus of an expansion, and with at LEAST two more expansions to go until this whole mess is over, its still very likely, and considering they still haven't removed the emerald dream portals from the world map hints that they still will be used for just that.

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

Gmod1001 wrote:I've been really interested in WoW development and history for a very long time, since I can remember being interested even before its release, seeing it in a Blizzard catalog. The old stranglethorn bridge picture with the coming soon message... Yeah, that's nostalgia right there...
Catalog #12, I guess :)

blizzardarchive.com [släsh] MoeTest [släsh] index [döt] php?id=catalogs
(The URL is not meant to be crawled, since I'll take it down soon, anyway)

bobaveccheveux

Post by bobaveccheveux »

Gmod1001 wrote:I've been really interested in WoW development and history for a very long time, since I can remember being interested even before its release, seeing it in a Blizzard catalog. The old stranglethorn bridge picture with the coming soon message... Yeah, that's nostalgia right there...
Wow is insanely uncleaned when it comes to stuff like that, there are so many items, spells, locations and NPCs that have either been removed in a patch or where never used in the first place (Or are development tests) that just lay vacant in the game files, it makes it an absolute goldmine for people like me who just love to dig in that stuff all day.
I still play the game to this day, with a active subscription, but I haven't messed with that one because I'm a paranoid type. I have messed around quite a bit with Alpha 3368, and I have explored a good portion of 1.12.1, but 2.4.3 is the first version I have got working with my own personal server for testing things, and having access to GM commands and the DB files have taken this to a whole new level, and I'm really excited.
I planned to add a lot of things to this thread, including more unused zones and instances to explore (Old Hyjal with its duplicate of Onyxia's Lair, the un-instanced and extremely creepy crypt under Deadwind Pass, etc), and that should be fun. I'm aware all of this is known and found and old, I just feel like exploring them and making something to read while I'm at it.

StormwindPrison I'm rather sure won't make a comeback, at least not without major changes, its far to maze-like with very little in clear direction and no real landmarks to help make your way around any of it, not to mention its multi-layered and the paths go above and below each other, making a map even rendered a little more useless. The EmeraldDream is STILL slated to be the focus of an expansion, and with at LEAST two more expansions to go until this whole mess is over, its still very likely, and considering they still haven't removed the emerald dream portals from the world map hints that they still will be used for just that.
It's good memories ! I played all the expansion except the last one. I guess, it's really cool to be able to go back in time and look at stuff that we couldn't explore. Glad you posted this, i always wondered that this Stormwind Prison looked. Thanks ;)

widdy
Donator

Post by widdy »

If someones interested I can get you a view videos from ppl who did record some content which is, for my knowledge, still unused as of today. The videos are from a website called warcraftmovies and you can get almost all of them, if you own a premium account on their site. I feel like sharing but I dont know if its okay.