Windows 12

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
espectalll123

Windows 12

Post by espectalll123 »

Windows 12 is an OS that I've done, which consists in a fusion between Windows 3.1 and Windows 95's desktop (of course, Calmira). It lets you enjoy the classic Start menu in really old computers... here you have the requirements list:
  • · Intel 286 or newer
    · 2 MB of RAM
    · VGA screen
    · CD & floppy drives (for now!)
Best of all: it's free as both beer and liberty! You'll think... is that possible?! Well, let me explain: of course, MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 are under EULA, something we could ignore as this is BetaArchive and is 20 years old software, BUT everything else is libre:
  • · Calmira: GNU GPL v2
    · Installer: GNU GPL v3
    · Artwork: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
Also, there's a compilable source code available in the website! So, if you want to mod Windows 3.1, 12 is a great opportunity! For example, my friend Pituko has just finished his Windows Preek, a custom version which comes with Win32s by default and tons of games! http://pituko.sitiosb.com/?p=60
Maybe the source needs more, clear instructions for modifying 12... pending for next releases!

Most of 12's software is just the same as the 3.1's one, with some extra ones:
  • · A new WINVER :O
    · Disk Format Utility: lets you easily format a floppy or a HDD
    · CalClean: Improves 12's speed by removing Calmira's unnecessary data
    · BOOTPTCH: A patch for 12's boot, changes the boot logo (useful after installing display drivers)
And now you're thinking... yeah, I like it... but where are the screenshots?! Well, here they are:

And just one more thing... of course, the download! Get the latest builds and source codes at http://win12.xunem.com/!!! And if you like it, show your gratitude joining 12community in Google+! :)

Jecag

Re: Windows 12

Post by Jecag »

It says on your website that it's the first and original? Yea sure like this hasn't been done before, adding Calmira and all of its extensions to a copy of Windows 8-). Everyone has done that before, including me. Asides from a few hacks, patches/fixes and annoying branding, what is so special about this?
Deus damnaret eam!

abandonware
Donator

Post by abandonware »

Hi, to download the "Source Code" the Nod antivirus 4.2.71.2 tells me has a BAT/Delwin Trojan. Please Check it! :-|
I'm looking for PC abandonware software, applications, OS, CAD, word processing, spreadsheets, programming, educational software, databases, sound or graphics editors, file managers, etc. If you have some old software or collection please share it.

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

Source code?
Yeah, sure.
I don't see any CODE in your "src" archive, so you don't have any source.
Source code is, i.e. a code compilable in ALL architectures.
What you have is binaries.

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

Jecag wrote:It says on your website that it's the first and original? Yea sure like this hasn't been done before, adding Calmira and all of its extensions to a copy of Windows 8-). Everyone has done that before, including me. Asides from a few hacks, patches/fixes and annoying branding, what is so special about this?
The interesting part of 12 is the source code. It makes easy to mod 12: get the source code, make your own changes and voilà! Just check Windows Preek, it's awesome :D
Also, if you think that the branding is annoying, just do your own release without it. It's not so much effort, because you in fact did your custom Windows before, right?
abandonware wrote:Hi, to download the "Source Code" the Nod antivirus 4.2.71.2 tells me has a BAT/Delwin Trojan. Please Check it! :-|
Yeah, I know it. ClamXav adviced me while I was writing the code. As I have to modify the WINDOWS folder removing and changing files, the antivirus thinks that is infected. Sorry! :/
CaptainPeanut wrote:Source code?
Yeah, sure.
I don't see any CODE in your "src" archive, so you don't have any source.
Source code is, i.e. a code compilable in ALL architectures.
What you have is binaries.
If you want Calmira's source code, get it at the official website. Source code of the installer is splited in two files: AUTOEXEC.BAT at FDD and SETUP.BAT at CD. Wouldn't you expect the Windows' source code, right? It's just a CD-making tool in some way, but it could be called "source code" with no problems because it haves code, can be modified and there's a way to compile it.

Why do you have to criticize me? I'm just sharing my ideas... :(

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

I'm just criticising your incorrect use of the term.

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

(Sorry, something went wrong and I replied 2 times...)
Last edited by espectalll123 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

CaptainPeanut wrote:I'm just criticising your incorrect use of the term.
Well, aren't BATs (as scripts they are) both source and binary? Also, as you can compile the system... How can I call it then?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Batch files are some kind of scripts...
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

espectalll123 wrote:
CaptainPeanut wrote:I'm just criticising your incorrect use of the term.
Well, aren't BATs (as scripts they are) both source and binary? Also, as you can compile the system... How can I call it then?
Setup Builder

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

Or maybe just Builder... :/

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

espectalll123 wrote:Well, aren't BATs (as scripts they are) both source and binary?
Not really, only the first. They're just a collection of commands (or a script if you will) for the command interpreter (CMD.exe/Command.com) and basically do the same as if you typed the commands into the prompt yourself.

Compiling one into a COM/EXE file would make it a binary, though...

Jecag

Post by Jecag »

espectalll123 wrote:
Jecag wrote:It says on your website that it's the first and original? Yea sure like this hasn't been done before, adding Calmira and all of its extensions to a copy of Windows 8-). Everyone has done that before, including me. Asides from a few hacks, patches/fixes and annoying branding, what is so special about this?
The interesting part of 12 is the source code. It makes easy to mod 12: get the source code, make your own changes and voilà! Just check Windows Preek, it's awesome :D
Also, if you think that the branding is annoying, just do your own release without it. It's not so much effort, because you in fact did your custom Windows before, right?

... *facepalm* This isn't your source code at all, it's barely a project, you're just xcopying someone else's already compiled code into a copy of Windows. I'm sorry, but I can't take this seriously at all, seeing as you only wrote some scripts. Batch files (.BAT) are not executables, it is basically a list of already compiled executables and system functions.

I'd suggest you start learning Visual Basic if you want to make your own GUI for Windows 3.x, based on your skill level, besides, it's more powerful than batch scripting anyway.
[joke]just don't write it to track a killer's ip address....[/joke]
Deus damnaret eam!

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

Jecag wrote:
espectalll123 wrote:

... *facepalm* This isn't your source code at all, it's barely a project, you're just xcopying someone else's already compiled code into a copy of Windows. I'm sorry, but I can't take this seriously at all, seeing as you only wrote some scripts. Batch files (.BAT) are not executables, it is basically a list of already compiled executables and system functions.

I'd suggest you start learning Visual Basic if you want to make your own GUI for Windows 3.x, based on your skill level, besides, it's more powerful than batch scripting anyway.
[joke]just don't write it to track a killer's ip address....[/joke]
I'm already learning VB3... but just run the WINVER, and you'll see that I'm not good enough to do any kind of apps... also, the only resource available is VB3's help, so I need some effort to guess how it works.

For now, I won't work in 12, as I just have my non-jailbroken iPad 2 (it's christmas time!) But in 2013 I'll start working in a new release with more features, or even my own build of my own system... LOL

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

If you've written your own WINVER, you could include the source in the builder archive to make it more 'source code'-ish ;)

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

AlphaBeta wrote:If you've written your own WINVER, you could include the source in the builder archive to make it more 'source code'-ish ;)
D'oh! You're right... also, I have to redesign my website... The actual one is provisional, so next year I'll make a new website, new builds, better docs and clean source code... I would like to start today, but without a computer available I can't work with 12 :(

Pituko

Post by Pituko »

It's a good modification but I thought the same about the source code (but without telling you :$).
Also, as you can read in my thread, you can add DOSBAR to 12. It will fit perfectly.

If you don't understand me when I speak, it's because spanish is my native language and I had to learn english (I can make mistakes when speaking)

espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

Hey guys, how are you? More than a month since the last time that I checked out the forum!

Think about Windows 12 as a friendlier way to use and make Windows by and for everybody. It's like, for example, Ubuntu with Linux, but with oldie software.

So, as is a community-based OS (however without being truly open source), I would like to know what improvements do you think that can be done... I'm even thinking about a GitHub or Launchpad branch so we can do the OS together.

Finally, I'm shocked... you love Preek but hate 12, when in fact Preek is a fork of 12. Pituko (his creator) and me have been friends a long ago, so I don't want to say that I hate Preek... but I still can't understand why you like it more (except for the source code, I must do a cleaner source). Really, please, help me if you can. I can do it alone, but my intention was to make the best 16 bits Windows for everyone, not just for geeks. Thanks :)

Windows 386

Post by Windows 386 »

espectalll123 wrote:Hey guys, how are you? More than a month since...
Hello. I would like to suggest this program SysFon 1.0:
http://stephan.win31.de/w31mm_de.htm#Win_look
Click on "SysFon" and download the file.
Old BetaArchive post from Despistado:
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... dc9#p96105

Windows 3.1 could look like this:
I choosed Terminal as a system font. The "SYSTEM.INI" file will be change by adding the line "FONTS.FON=YOURFONT.FON"
I could choose FIXEDSYS.FON to use the Windows 2.xx system font.
@Pituko. You can also use this application to modify Windows Preek.

TheEpicKw259

Post by TheEpicKw259 »

This is a nice project and all but I cannot get it to boot on virtualbox even using the boot floppy... it just says It is now safe to turn off your computer... please help

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

I'd suggest Changing the Icons to Windows 2000/Me icons, As well as having Windows 9x-styled Title-Bar Buttons (Close, Minimize, Maximize)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

MSUser2013 wrote:As well as having Windows 9x-styled Title-Bar Buttons (Close, Minimize, Maximize)
That simply isn't possible. It would need a new display driver, and you would need to modify a nice amount of drivers to make it happen.