Windows World 1991 - Microsoft Keynote

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
linuxlove
Donator

Windows World 1991 - Microsoft Keynote

Post by linuxlove »

Touches on Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1 OLE and TrueType, Visual Basic 1.0, Windows for Pen Computing and Multimedia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKchEEPw ... re=related (5 parts)
Goodbye.

WinPC

Re: Windows World 1991 - Microsoft Keynote

Post by WinPC »

I'll watch this video to try to explain everything as I did for the other video that you referenced to in your other topic.

Anyway, that said, I'll later post information further explaining the versions of Windows mentioned in this video, since I already have quite a lot of knowledge relating to Microsoft operating systems, not to mention that I also have many sources for the information that I've provided over the years.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Excuse the double post, but here is my explanation for the Windows World 1991 video:

Windows 3.1 (codenamed "Janus"):
In this part of the video, Bill Gates made a reference to the following goals:
"Respond to customer feedback"
"Better developer support"
"TrueType font technology"
"Object Linking and Embedding"
"Improved performance and usability" (note that in the actual video, the word "usability" was cut off onto the following line)

As for "Object Linking and Embedding", it was mentioned that Keith Ross, a Microsoft employee, was involved in its development.

In the following screenshots, Bill Gates not only describes OLE and TrueType support, but he also works with a sample calendar application written in Visual Basic.

Since the sample calendar application shows May 20th, 1991 as the date, and since Janus Build 26 is from May 1991, I would say that the build that Bill Gates is running in these screenshots is either Build 26 or another build in the same range, however, since Build 34e is from June 7th, 1991, it's certainly not Build 34e, but an earlier build.

Windows for Pen Computing 1.0 (known then as "Pen Windows", described as "New Pen-oriented User Interface Model):
In this part of the video, Bill Gates made a reference to the following goals:
"Direct manipulation, gestures, handwritten input, annotation"
"Runs all existing Windows applications"
"Supports new pen-centric applications"

Here, Bill Gates mentions the fact that Pen Windows was planned to be released in what he described as "early next year", which of course, is early 1992.

Multimedia:
In this part of the video, Bill Gates refers to the following goals for "Multimedia", which was given the description of "The Integration of Sound, Image, Animation, and Information":
"New multimedia titles and applications"
"Strong OEM commitment"
"Tandy ships!"

Since Windows with Multimedia Extensions 1.0 (version 3.00a) was released in October 1991, this proves that it was already in development at the time.

Also, "Tandy ships!" refers to the fact that Tandy had introduced its line of multimedia systems, of which were among the systems that Windows with Multimedia Extensions 1.0 (version 3.00a) was aimed at.

Windows Futures:
In this part of the video, Bill Gates refers to the following goals for "Windows Futures", which was given no description:
"32-bit multithreading"
"Multiprocessor"
"Advanced security"
"Portable to RISC (including ACE)"

He also stated that they were rewriting the Windows kernel. Since Windows Chicago development started in early-1993, this obviously refers to Windows NT, which of course is 32-bit and has come to support all of the features stated.
Last edited by WinPC on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

WinPC wrote: He also stated that they were rewriting the Windows kernel; while it could refer to Windows 3.2 codenamed "Cougar" and/or Windows 4.0 codenamed "Chicago" (later known as Windows 95),
If Wikipedia can be called a reliable source, Windows 95 development started around 1992, after the release of Windows 3.1.
I think, since this is in the "Windows Futures" section of the video, Bill is talking about Windows NT. Of course, it was so much more than just a kernel rewrite but perhaps Bill was keeping quiet about what they were doing with NT at the time until the July (February?) 1991 video where Bill gave a demo of NT Build 175.
Goodbye.