|Microsoft Windows XP|
|Kernel version||NT 5.1, NT 5.2|
|CPU architecture||x86 x64|
|Support end||Discontinued as of 8/4/2014|
|Preceded by||2000 / Neptune|
|Succeeded by||Longhorn / Vista|
Windows XP (codenamed Whistler) is an operating system developed by Microsoft, and the successor to Windows ME and Windows 2000. It was released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001, while its server countarpart, Windows Server 2003, was released almost two years later. The name, XP, stands for eXPerience.
A 64-bit version of the operating system, based on the Windows Server 2003 kernel, was made available on April 25, 2005.
Windows XP support ended on April 8 2014 , while it's server counterpart is scheduled to end about a year later. However, antimalware signatures are still being produced for Windows XP for a year after the End-Of-Life (EOL).
Note that this changelog includes only beta versions of Windows XP for now. It does not describe changes happening after RTM (eg - SP1 betas).
Build 2211 (Early stages)
- Gains few features and appearances of Windows XP.
- Has no watermark, unlike the SD (Source Depot) Windows 2000 Post-RTM build.
- Refers to Windows Whistler Professional in the watermark on the desktop.
- First known Whistler build to include the new Watercolour (then known as Professional) theme.
- Start menu was redesigned in this build, and now forms the Start menu of Windows XP and later Windows versions. However, this feature is disabled by default.
- Internet Explorer identifies itself as version 5.6.
- Improves on the then-new Professional theme, renames it to Watercolour.
- Replaces many 'Windows 2000' references with 'Whistler', with some exceptions.
- Has the new Start menu enabled by default, not disabled as it was in Build 2250. The Start menu was also redesigned.
- Minor change on boot screen, mainly focusing on reference changes.
- Introduces a new bootscreen.
- The look of the Start menu is updated.
Build 2296 (Beta 1)
Appears to be identical to the previous builds.
Build 2410 (Pre-Beta 2)
- Gains a number of new features.
- Has a number of higher resolution icons.
- IE is now 6.0 beta instead of 5.6.
- Windows Setup redesigned.
- Windows Tour prototype present.
- First leaked build with the Luna theme, which went on to be the major theme for Windows XP.
- Animations are present in the taskbar and the Start menu.
- Windows flag was replaced in setup.
- Windows Media Player was updated.
Build 2462 (Beta 2)
- Main Beta 2 build of Windows Whistler.
- First build to start calling itself Windows XP in most places.
- The 'shine' was removed from the Start Menu.
- Luna theme was updated.
Build 2475 (Pre-RC1)
- Most Whistler references were replaced.
- Includes an animated windows flag at the login screen.
- Official Pre-RC1.
- All the remaining Whistler references were replaced.
- New Homestead and Metallic (Olive green and Silver) Luna theme colours.
- Animating Windows flag was removed.
- New XP sounds were added.
- Mostly bug fixes, otherwise almost identical to RTM.
- Starter This version was intended for emerging markets. Cannot launch more than 3 programs at a time and can utilize only up to a maximum of 512MB RAM. This version is meant for low-cost PC's.
- Home Edition This edition is for low to mid end PCs and can address up to 4 GB RAM. This version was included in ULPC(Ultra Low PC's)
- Professional This is the mainstream high end version.
- Media Center Edition This version is specially for Media Center based PC. System requirements are significantly higher than other editions. This version includes Media Center and new themes.
- Embedded This version is intended for the embedded sector.
- Tablet PC Edition This version was included in tablets from 2002-2006(+). This is the tablet-optimized version of Windows XP.
- Windows XP 64-bit Edition This version was intended for 64-bit PC's and thus could address far more RAM amounts. One such edition was for Itanium as well.
- Visual Styles: A theming engine was designed by Microsoft which included the new Luna interface. The previous placeholder theme, Watercolor, was replaced in later versions of the operating system.
- SD Windows 2000 Professional 2202.1.ntvbl06.000202-1835
- Whistler Build 2211.1.main.000309-1512
- Whistler Build 2223.1.main.000411-2307
- Whistler Build 2250.1.main.000628-2110
- Whistler Build 2257.1.idx01.000810-2103
- Whistler Build 2267.1.idx01.000910-1316
- Whistler Build 2276.1.lab02_n.000928-2023
- Whistler Build 2287.1.beta1.001012-1640
- Whistler Build 2410.main.001208-1937
- Whistler Build 2416.idx01.010104-1958
- Whistler Build 2419.idx02.010113-1154
- Whistler Build 2428.idx01.010129-1827
- Whistler Build 2430.main.010130-1821
- Whistler Build 2432.main.010203-1757
- Whistler Build 2433.main.010206-1822
- Whistler Build 2439 (full buildtag unknown)
- Whistler Build 2442.main.010217-1630
- Whistler Build 2446.main.010224-2228
- Whistler Build 2454.main.010306-1653
- Whistler Build 2457.main.010309-1904
- Whistler Build 2458.main.010310-1552
- Whistler Build 2462.main.010315-1739
- Whistler Build 2463.main.010328-1824
- Windows XP Build 2465.idx01.010412-2007
- Windows XP Build 2469.idx02.010508-1228
- Windows XP Build 2474.main.010508-1907
- Windows XP Build 2475.idx01.010514-2023
- Windows XP Build 2481.main.010523-1905
- Windows XP Build 2485.main.010530-2130
- Windows XP Build 2486.main.010602-1927
- Windows XP Build 2494.main.010613-1739
- Windows XP Build 2495.main.010614-1724
- Windows XP Build 2498.main.010618-1744
- Windows XP Build 2499.main.010619-1834
- Windows XP Build 2502.main.010622-1750
- Windows XP Build 2504.main.010625-1923
- Windows XP Build 2525.xpclient.010723-1719
- Windows XP Build 2526 (Embedded)
- Windows XP Build 2526.xpclient.010724-1758
- Windows XP Build 2531.xpclient.010730-1640
- Windows XP Build 2532.xpclient.010731-1658
Service Pack 1 Beta
Service Pack 1
Service Pack 2 Beta
- Windows XP Build 2600.1185.xpsp2.030313-1931
- Windows XP Build 2600.1204.xpsp2.030410-1604
- Windows XP Build 2600.1213.xpsp2.030424-1654
- Windows XP Build 2600.2082.xpsp.040216-1810
- Windows XP Build 2600.2096.xpsp_sp2_rc1.040311-2315
- Windows XP Build 2600.2135.xpsp.040518-1812
- Windows XP Build 2600.2138.xpsp.040522-1636
- Windows XP Build 2600.2149.xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520
- Windows XP Build 2600.2162.xpsp_sp2_idx.040709-1830
- Windows XP Build 2600.2179.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040802-1419
Service Pack 2
Service Pack 3 Beta
- Windows XP Build 2600.3180.xpsp.070718-2058
- Windows XP Build 2600.3205.xpsp.070831-1912
- Windows XP Build 2600.3244.xpsp.071030-1537
- Windows XP Build 2600.3264.xpsp.071130-1425
- Windows XP Build 2600.3282.xpsp.071227-0220
- Windows XP Build 2600.3300.xpsp.080125-2028
- Windows XP Build 2600.3311.xpsp.080212-0005
- Windows XP Build 2600.5503.xpsp.080306-1604
- Windows XP Build 2600.5508.xpsp.080320-0409