|Kernel version||Windows 9x (4.00)|
|BIOS||10th August 1993|
|TCB link||Beta ID: 990036|
Windows 95 build 58s is the Chicago Preliminary Development Kit build and part of the Milestone 4 stage. It is currently the earliest leaked build of Chicago. It is most known for its early shell, which had 3 start buttons and menus instead of one. There was believed to be a build 56 of Chicago for many years. It was later found to be a modification of 58s and removed from the FTP.
- You can store any folder on the taskbar.
- There are three buttons available on the taskbar. The first is used for the main process. The second is used for finding. The third is used for help.
- This build includes a new boot screen that is available inside
- Dr. Watson and Tracker now starts by default.
CAB32.EXEwas added for exploring files and folders easier without File Manager. It is available on the desktop as
- Recycle Bin was added, called
- Windows 3.1 programs are stored inside the
- Network folder was added, called
- Clock was added to the taskbar.
- The user interface now has a rectangle instead of a radius rectangle.
- Desktop color changed to turquoise. Desktop wallpaper changed to
WARNING.BMP, saying "Under Construction".
Installing from Windows 95 boot floppy:
- Prepare disk with
fdisk, reboot, then format (
- Change path to the CD-ROM and go to the
- Accept the default settings and then continue to the file copying process.
- When complete, reboot with the floppy still connected.
ALT+F+O. Browse to
- Save changes (
ALT+F+S) then exit (
- Remove floppy and then boot to Windows.
Info Center, image from