|Kernel version||Windows 9x (4.00)|
|Key and TCB link||Beta ID: 101907
Windows 95 (codename Chicago) build 58s is the Chicago Preliminary Development Kit build and part of the Milestone 4 stage. It is currently the earliest leaked build of Chicago. It is most known for its early shell, which had 3 start buttons and menus instead of one. There was believed to be a build 56 of Chicago for many years. It was later found to be a modification of 58s and removed from the FTP.
A video on enabling Networking in this build can be found here.
- Now you can store any folder on the taskbar.
- There are three buttons available on the taskbar. The first is used for the main process. The second is used for finding. The third is used for help.
- This build includes a new boot screen that available inside
- Now Dr. Watson and Tracker starts as default.
CAB32.EXEadded for exploring files and folders easier without File Manager. This is available on desktop as
- Recycle Bin added that named as
- Now Windows 3.1 programs stored inside
- Network folder added as
Network>>. This folder is used for networking.
- Clock added on the taskbar. Now you can see time on the taskbar.
- Now User Interface has rectangle instead of radius rectangle.
- Desktop color changed as turquoise. Desktop wallpaper changed as
WARNING.BMPthat says "Under Construction".
Installing from Windows 95 Boot Floppy
1. Prepare Disk with
fdisk.exe, reboot, then format.
2. Change to the CD-ROM and enter the
4. Accept the default settings then continue to the file copying process.
5. When complete, reboot with the floppy still connected.
edit.com and press
ALT+F+O. Browse to
8. Save changes (
ALT+F+S) then exit (
9. Remove floppy and then boot to Windows.