|Version of Microsoft Windows|
|Replaced by||Windows 2.x|
Originally, Microsoft started work on a new graphical environment for MS-DOS-based personal computers, known as "Interface Manager". This environment would include support for existing MS-DOS-based applications, as well as GUI applications that were specifically designed for the new environment.
Later, at COMDEX 1983 in November, Microsoft demonstrated a new upcoming product, "Microsoft Windows", running on a personal computer with monochrome graphics, and with various applications running alongside each other in "windows".
During the course of its development, several pre-release versions of Microsoft Windows were also made available to testers and developers, including a "Development Release #5" from around November 1984, as well as later pre-release versions such as those from January 1985 (Alpha) and May 1985 (Beta).
A final preliminary release, Premiere Edition, was released to a group of users for testing Windows prior to its release. Windows 1.01, released on November 20th, 1985, was the first version of Windows to be released to general availability, whereas several more versions, Windows 1.02 and Windows 1.03, were released as more changes were made to Windows, up to, 1.04, which was released in April 1987, the latter of which also added support for the newly introduced IBM PS/2 series of personal computers which was released at that same time.
- Microsoft Windows "BYTE" build
- Microsoft Windows 1983-11-01 build
- Microsoft Windows "InfoWorld 1983-11-21" build
- Microsoft Windows "Fall COMDEX" build
- Microsoft Windows 1983-11-20 build
- Microsoft Windows "PC Mag 1984-01-24" build
- Microsoft Windows 1984-04 build
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #1
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #2
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #3
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #4
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Tandy 2000 builds
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Alpha Release
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 Beta Release
- Microsoft Windows "PC Mag 1985-08-20" build
- Microsoft Windows Premiere Edition
- Microsoft Windows 1.xx
- Microsoft Windows 1.01 RC (1985-10-21)
- Microsoft Windows 1.01 RC (1985-10-28)
- Microsoft Windows Beta V1.00.08
- Microsoft Windows Retail Beta Release 1.00.09
- Microsoft Windows 1.01
- Microsoft Windows Beta V1.02.02
- Microsoft Windows 1.02
- Microsoft Windows Beta V1.03.04
- Microsoft Windows 1.03
- Microsoft Windows 1.04
In late 1983 (over two years before Windows 1.0 was actually released), Microsoft sent out press kits which contained a squeegee (window washer) and a washcloth. It also contained an invitation to attend a press conference in New York on November 10 1983, where the official name of Windows was released .
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 advertisement with Steve Ballmer
- History of Microsoft - 1985 (see 2:02 to 8:39 for Windows 1.0)