|Microsoft Windows 1.0|
|Codename(s)||Previously known as Interface Manager|
|Licence||(C) Microsoft 1985,1986,1987|
Microsoft Windows 2.0
Originally, Microsoft started work on a new graphical environment for MS-DOS-based personal computers, known as "Interface Manager". This environment would include support for existing MS-DOS-based applications, as well as GUI applications that were specifically designed for the new environment.
Later, at COMDEX 1983 in November, Microsoft demonstrated a new upcoming product, "Microsoft Windows", running on a personal computer with monochrome graphics, and with various applications running alongside each other in "windows".
During the course of its development, several pre-release versions of Microsoft Windows were also made available to testers and developers, including a "Developer Release 5" from around November 1984, as well as later pre-release versions such as those from January 1985 (Alpha), May 1985 (Beta), and Premiere Edition in July 1985.
A final preliminary release, Premiere Edition (1.00), was released to a group of users for testing Windows prior to its release. Windows 1.01, released on November 20th, 1985, was the first version of Windows to be released to general availability, whereas several more versions, Windows 1.02 and Windows 1.03, were released as more changes were made to Windows, up to, 1.04, which was released in April 1987, the latter of which also added support for the newly introduced IBM PS/2 series of personal computers which was released at that same time.
Several versions in other languages, such as Windows 1.03 in German and French and Windows 1.03 Japanese for the NEC PC-9801, were also released, as well as OEM versions such as a version of Windows 1.01 for Zenith personal computers, as well as versions of Windows 1.03 for Olivetti and Siemens machines.
Version history list
Pre-release and development
Early versions of Microsoft Windows include the early Interface Manager environment, as well as the demonstration at COMDEX 1983, along with subsequent pre-release versions of Microsoft Windows that were shipped prior to release.
- Byte magazine demonstration
- COMDEX 1983 demonstration
- Microsoft Windows Developer Release 1 (DR1) (May 1984)
- Microsoft Windows Tandy 2000 demonstration (October 1984)
- Microsoft Windows Developer Release 5 (DR5) (November 1984)
- Microsoft Windows Alpha (January 1985)
- Microsoft Windows Beta (May 1985)
- Microsoft Windows Premiere Edition (July 1985) ✔
- "PC Magazine" demonstration
Microsoft Windows 1.01
Microsoft Windows 1.02
Microsoft Windows 1.03
- Microsoft Windows 1.03.04 (pre-release version)
- Microsoft Windows 1.03 (Release version) ✔
- Microsoft Windows 1.03 (for Tulip personal computers) ✔
- Microsoft Windows 1.03 (for Olivetti personal computers)
- Microsoft Windows 1.03 (for Siemens personal computers)
Microsoft Windows 1.04
- Microsoft Windows 1.0 advertisement with Steve Ballmer
- History of Microsoft - 1985 (see 2:02 to 8:39 for Microsoft Windows 1.0)