Microsoft KB Archive/925931
Article ID: 925931
Article Last Modified on 10/11/2007
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
On a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer, you may be unable to apply more updates at a certain point. If you check the KB
nnnnnn.log update installation log, you may see an error message that resembles the following:
Note The installation log is available at
Typically, this problem occurs on a computer that has many QFEs together with General Distribution Releases (GDRs). QFEs are hotfixes that are only obtainable from Microsoft Product Service and Support (PSS). GDRs are available on a public Microsoft Web site.
Note Error 0xfffffbfe represents the JET_errRecordTooBig column value.
This problem occurs because the number of update packages reaches an architectural limitation in the Windows security database.
To resolve this problem on a computer that must install many updates, contact Microsoft PSS.
This problem is addressed in updates that were packaged in the September 2006 timeframe and after.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB925931