Microsoft KB Archive/925809
Article ID: 925809
Article Last Modified on 9/20/2007
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
You upgrade Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista. After you upgrade, you cannot uninstall Windows Vista by using the Uninstall a program option of the Programs and Features Control Panel tool.
This problem occurs because Windows Vista does not provide the Uninstall Windows Vista option in the Uninstall a program option of the Programs and Features Control Panel tool.
To resolve this problem, back up your files, and then perform a clean installation of Windows XP. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Maintenance, and then click Backup and Restore Center.
- Click Set up backup, select the location for your backup files, and then click Next.
- Continue with the wizard to select the following:
- The drives and the file types to back up
- How frequently to back up the drives and the file types
- What time of day to perform the backup
- Finish the wizard, and then click Save Settings and Start Backup.
- When the back up is complete, perform a clean install of Windows XP. For more information about how to perform a clean installation of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
316941 How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
Note You cannot perform a clean installation of Windows XP by using an upgrade version of Windows XP. You must have the full version of the Windows XP.
For more information about the Back Up and Restore Center, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about going back to Windows XP after you have upgraded a Windows XP-based computer to Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
933170 How to go back to Windows XP after you have upgraded a Windows XP-based computer to Windows Vista
Keywords: kbtshoot kbbug kbprb kbexpertisebeginner KB925809