Microsoft KB Archive/891154
Article ID: 891154
Article Last Modified on 12/15/2006
- Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
When you install Microsoft Office 2003 Professional on a computer that is running an earlier version of Microsoft Office with FrontPage already installed, the Office 2003 Setup program does not remove the earlier version of Microsoft Office FrontPage.
This article describes how to work around this behavior by using the Custom Installation Wizard to modify the Microsoft Transform (MST) file. The MST file is used by the Office 2003 Setup program. The Custom Installation Wizard is one of the tools that is available in the Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit Toolkit.
When you install Microsoft Office 2003 Professional on a computer that is running an earlier version of Microsoft Office with FrontPage, FrontPage is not removed when the installation is finished.
This behavior occurs because the Microsoft Office System does not include FrontPage 2003 as one of the programs to be installed.
To work around this behavior, you must use the Custom Installation Wizard (CIW) in the Microsoft Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit to modify the Office 2003 setup process. If you do not have the Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit (Ork.exe), download the resource kit from the Microsoft Download Center. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the ork.exe package now.
To modify the Microsoft Transform (MST) file that is provided with the Office 2003 installation files to introduce parameters that remove FrontPage from your computer, use the CIW.
Note The Microsoft Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit tools have been primarily designed to serve the deployment scenarios that are found in organizations that use volume licensing programs. Therefore, you cannot use Microsoft Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit tools, such as the Custom Installation Wizard, with a retail edition of Microsoft Office 2003. Additionally, you cannot run the Setup program in administrative mode to create an administrative installation point with retail packaged products. All retail editions require product activation and do not include the bypass capability that is supported by licensed editions.
For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
To modify the MST file, follow these steps:
- Create a folder on your hard disk. For example, create a folder named
Copy the following Office 2003 installation files from the Office 2003 CD-ROM to the
STD11.MSI or PRO11.MSI
If you copy files from the Office 2003 CD, the files will have the read-only attribute set. Right-click the Office_2003.MST file, click Properties, and then click to clear the Read-only check box.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Office, and then point to Microsoft Office Tools.
- Point to Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit, and then click Custom Installation Wizard.
- Click Next, and then click Browse.
- Move to the
- Click STD11.MSI or PRO11.MSI, click Open, and then click Next.
- Click Open an existing MST file.
- Verify that in the Name and path of MST file to open box,
- Click Next two times.
- In the upper-right of the Microsoft Office 2003 Custom Installation Wizard window, a closed list that contains text that is similar to the following is displayed: 4 of 24. In this drop-down list, click 23 Modify Setup Properties.
- Click Yes to overwrite the MST file, and then click Add.
Note The original MST file is available on the Office 2003 CD-ROM.
- Click Add, then in the Name box, type OPCREMOVEFRONTPAGE1X. Then, in the Value box, type 1, and then click OK.
Note The text entered in the Name box is case-sensitive.
- Repeat step 12 four times. However, replace the parameter in the Name box every time with the following parameter respectively:
- Double-click NOFEATURESTATEMIGRATION.
Note This setting is ignored when it is used on a computer that is running Terminal Services.
- In the Value list, click Do not match feature states during migration, and then click OK.
- Click Next, and then click Finish to save your MST file.
- Insert your Office 2003 Professional CD-ROM into your CD drive.
- Open a command prompt, and move to the root of your CD drive.
- At the command prompt, type the following command to make the Office Setup program use the MST file that you created in the previous steps:
For more information about why previous versions of Office applications may not be removed when you upgrade to Office 2003, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
827471 Previous Office programs and tools are still installed after you install Office 2003
For more information about the Microsoft Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb KB891154