Microsoft KB Archive/840923
Article ID: 840923
Article Last Modified on 3/20/2007
- Microsoft Visual Studio for Applications SDK 1.1
When you open and try to build a Microsoft Visual Studio for Applications Software Development Kit (VSA SDK) 1.1 sample project, you may receive the following error message in the Output window of Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2002:
The following may also occur:
- On a computer that has both Visual Studio .NET 2002 and Visual Studio .NET 2003 installed, when you open a VSA SDK 1.1 sample project, the project opens in Visual Studio .NET 2002.
- In Visual Studio .NET 2002, when you try to build a VSA SDK 1.1 sample project, the project is built by using the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0.
All VSA SDK 1.1 sample projects contain Visual Studio .NET 2002 project files. However, these projects contain references to the Microsoft.Vsa.Hosting.dll assembly. The Microsoft.Vsa.Hosting.dll assembly is not present in the .NET Framework 1.0.
- Start Visual Studio .NET 2003.
- On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Project. The Open Project dialog box appears.
- Locate, and then click the solution file for the VSA SDK 1.1 sample project that you want to open, and then click Open. For example, locate and then click the Workbench.sln solution file that is located in the
InstallationPath\VSIP 7.1\Visual Studio for Applications SDK\Samples\Workbench folder. You receive the following message: Note In this step,
InstallationPathis a placeholder for your installation path.
- Click Yes to convert the Visual Studio .NET 2002 solution to a Visual Studio .NET 2003 solution.
- After the conversion process is complete, click Build Solution on the Build menu. Visual Studio .NET 2003 builds the solution without any errors because the Microsoft.Vsa.Hosting.dll assembly is present in the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 class library.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in Microsoft Visual Studio for Applications Software Development Kit 1.1.
Steps to reproduce the behavior
- Install Visual Studio .NET 2002.
- Install Visual Studio .NET 2003.
- Install VSA SDK 1.1.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to VSIP 7.1, and then point to Visual Studio for Applications SDK.
- Point to Samples, point to any one of the three samples, and then click the associated solution file. The solution opens in Visual Studio .NET 2002.
- On the Build menu, click Build Solution.
For more information about Visual Studio for Applications, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Keywords: kbbug kbdll kbideproject KB840923