Microsoft KB Archive/820727
Article ID: 820727
Article Last Modified on 8/7/2006
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
Bug #: 469407 (SQL Server 8.0)
Microsoft distributes Microsoft SQL Server 2000 fixes as one downloadable file. Because the fixes are cumulative, each new release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2000 fix release.
This article describes the following about this hotfix release:
- The issues that are fixed by this hotfix package
- The prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes
- The files that are contained in the hotfix package
When you try to access a SQL Server 2000 database from an application, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
You experience this problem when the application is performing a long-running cursor fetch. When that cursor fetch is canceled or causes a query timeout, you receive the error message. Also, an error message that is similar to the following is written to the SQL Server 2000 error log:
Note After the assertion occurs that causes the SQL Server service to shut down unexpectedly, you may also experience random access violation error messages.
For a list of previous hotfixes, see the "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 post-Service Pack 3 or Microsoft SQL Server 2000 post-Service Pack 3a hotfixes" section in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
290211 How to obtain the latest SQL Server 2000 service pack
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next SQL Server 2000 service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
You must install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3). For more information about how to obtain SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
290211 How to obtain the latest SQL Server 2000 service pack
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name ------------------------------------------------------------------ 31-May-2003 19:45 2000.80.818.0 78,400 Console.exe 25-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 33,340 Dbmslpcn.dll 25-Apr-2003 03:12 786,432 Distmdl.ldf 25-Apr-2003 03:12 2,359,296 Distmdl.mdf 30-Jan-2003 02:55 180 Drop_repl_hotfix.sql 23-Jun-2003 23:40 2000.80.837.0 1,557,052 Dtsui.dll 23-Jun-2003 23:40 2000.80.837.0 639,552 Dtswiz.dll 24-Apr-2003 03:51 747,927 Instdist.sql 03-May-2003 02:56 1,581 Inst_repl_hotfix.sql 08-Feb-2003 07:40 2000.80.765.0 90,692 Msgprox.dll 01-Apr-2003 03:07 1,873 Odsole.sql 05-Apr-2003 02:46 2000.80.800.0 62,024 Odsole70.dll 07-May-2003 21:41 2000.80.819.0 25,144 Opends60.dll 02-Apr-2003 22:48 2000.80.796.0 57,904 Osql.exe 03-Apr-2003 00:15 2000.80.797.0 279,104 Pfutil80.dll 22-May-2003 23:57 19,195 Qfe469571.sql 12-Jun-2003 17:37 1,083,989 Replmerg.sql 04-Apr-2003 22:53 2000.80.798.0 221,768 Replprov.dll 08-Feb-2003 07:40 2000.80.765.0 307,784 Replrec.dll 05-May-2003 01:05 1,085,874 Replsys.sql 01-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 492,096 Semobj.dll 31-May-2003 19:27 2000.80.818.0 172,032 Semobj.rll 29-May-2003 01:29 115,944 Sp3_serv_uni.sql 01-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 4,215,360 Sqldmo.dll 07-Apr-2003 18:44 25,172 Sqldumper.exe 19-Mar-2003 19:20 2000.80.789.0 28,672 Sqlevn70.rll 02-Jul-2003 01:18 2000.80.834.0 180,736 Sqlmap70.dll 08-Feb-2003 07:40 2000.80.765.0 57,920 Sqlrepss.dll 23-Jun-2003 23:40 2000.80.837.0 7,553,105 Sqlservr.exe 08-Feb-2003 07:40 2000.80.765.0 45,644 Sqlvdi.dll 25-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 33,340 Ssmslpcn.dll 01-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 82,492 Ssnetlib.dll 01-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 25,148 Ssnmpn70.dll 01-Jun-2003 02:01 2000.80.818.0 158,240 Svrnetcn.dll 31-May-2003 19:59 2000.80.818.0 76,416 Svrnetcn.exe 01-May-2003 00:52 2000.80.816.0 45,132 Ums.dll 02-Jul-2003 01:19 2000.80.834.0 98,816 Xpweb70.dll
Note Because of file dependencies, the most recent hotfix that contains these files may also contain additional files.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about the naming schema for SQL Server updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
822499 New naming schema for Microsoft SQL Server software update packages
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when it corrects software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
The complete call stack may appear differently based on various queries that defined in the cursor. The following short stack dump is written to the SQL Server error log and a symptom dump file is created:
* 0087A90E Module(sqlservr+0047A90E)(CStackDump::GetContextAndDump+0000002E) * 0087C41F Module(sqlservr+0047C41F) (stackTrace+00000223) * 00931097 Module(sqlservr+00531097) (utassert_fail+000002E3) * 00801C54 Module(sqlservr+00401C54) (RowsetSS::GoDormant+00000070) * 006D3121 Module(sqlservr+002D3121) (CQueryExecContext::GoDormantIolb+00000022) * 00428694 Module(sqlservr+00028694) (CQueryScan::GoDormant+00000031) * 0059B5A7 Module(sqlservr+0019B5A7) (CFetchDynamic::Fetch+00000900) * 00582DB7 Module(sqlservr+00182DB7) (CCursor::Fetch+00000249) * 00590F77 Module(sqlservr+00190F77) (SPCursor::Fetch+00000546) * 005F144B Module(sqlservr+001F144B) (CSpecProc::ExecuteSpecial+000000D5) * 005F1988 Module(sqlservr+001F1988) (CSpecProc::Execute+000000B6) * 0061353F Module(sqlservr+0021353F) (execrpc+000004A6) * 0043816D Module(sqlservr+0003816D) (execute_rpc+00000019) * 00427001 Module(sqlservr+00027001) (process_commands+00000232) * 41075002 Module(UMS+00005002) (ProcessWorkRequests+00000272) * 41074698 Module(UMS+00004698) (ThreadStartRoutine+00000098) * 7800C9EB Module(MSVCRT+0000C9EB) (beginthread+000000CE) * 77E8B2D8 Module(KERNEL32+0000B2D8) (lstrcmpiW+000000B7)
Keywords: kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbsqlserv2000presp4fix kbbug kbfix kbqfe KB820727