Microsoft KB Archive/45926
Function Keys Not Displayed on Word 4.0 and 5.0 Menus
PSS ID Number: Q45926 Article last modified on 03-07-1997
====================================================================== 4.00 5.00 5.10 MACINTOSH kbusage kbui
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Word for the Macintosh versions 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1|
Word version 5.0 and 5.1
To show the function keys in the menu in Microsoft Word for the Macintosh, follow these steps:
- From the Tools menu, choose Preferences.
- Click on the View icon.
- Under Menus, click Show Function Keys on Menus.
- Close the Preferences dialog box.
Word version 4.0
To display the function key assignments for the commands on the menus in Word 4.0, the Show Menu Function Keys command must be on; this command is on by default when using an extended keyboard.
However, the function key assignment for a command will appear on the menu only if the function key combination is the first key combination listed for that command in the Commands dialog box.
Display the function key assignment on the menu by doing the following:
- From the Edit menu, choose Commands.
- Scroll to and select the appropriate command (for example, select Copy).
- The Keys list box contains a list of all the key combinations for that command (for example, by default, COMMAND+C and F3 are listed for Copy).
- Select the first key combination and click the Remove button (for example, for Copy, select COMMAND+C).
- Repeat step 4 until the function key combination is the first combination listed in the Keys box (for example, for Copy, after deleting COMMAND+C, F3 will be listed at the top).
- Add the deleted key combinations to the list again by choosing the Add button and typing in the appropriate sequence. These added combinations will appear at the bottom of the list.
The function keys will now appear in the menu next to the appropriate command when Show Menu Function Keys is active. When Show Menu Function Keys is not active, the first nonfunction key combination will be displayed.
KBCategory: kbusage kbui KBSubCategory: Additional reference words: 4.00 5.00 5.10 macword macword5 ====================================================================== ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1997.