Microsoft KB Archive/255291
Article ID: 255291
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q255291
In Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5, the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) modify request fails and logs the following event:
Event ID: 1356
Category: LDAP Interface
LDAP modify request failed with error: 16
This behavior can occur when you use an Active Directory Service Interface (ADSI) or an LDAP-based application to modify a directory object on an Exchange Server computer. The error 16 (decimal) maps to hex error 0x10. When the LDAP.h file is referenced, this error maps to LDAP_NO_SUCH_ATTRIBUTE.
To prevent this behavior from occurring, increase the diagnostic logging level on the LDAP interface for the MSExchangeDS service object. To do so, follow these steps:
- Start Exchange Server Administrator.
- In the Servers container, select the server that you want to modify, point to File, and then right-click Properties.
- Click Diagnostic Logging, and then click MSExchangeDS.
- In the Category pane, select LDAP Interface.
- In the Logging Level box, click Maximum. After you increase the diagnostic logging level, you must modify the ADSI/LDAP application to produce an event ID 1356. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click Windows NT Event Viewer to view the application log.
- Locate the event ID 1356 and note any previous event ID 1326. The earlier event ID 1326 identifies the attribute that is producing the present event.
- Revise the initial LDAP modify request to search for a valid attribute.
Additional query words: query code
Keywords: kbinfo KB255291