Microsoft KB Archive/255024
Article ID: 255024
Article Last Modified on 10/26/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 3
This article was previously published under Q255024
If an Exchange Server user sends a message to an SMTP recipient over an X.400 Connector to an X.400 recipient, when the X.400 recipient opens the message, the SMTP recipient's address is displayed as the X.400 address of the server that created the X.400 address, and the following two Domain Defined Attributes (DDAs) are displayed:
If the X.400 recipient is not on an Exchange Server system, the system may expect SMTP addresses to be encapsulated in a single DDA, of Request for Comments (RFC)-822 type. It is now possible to configure Exchange Server to use the RFC-822 method of encapsulation. For additional information about the latest service pack for Exchange Server 5.5, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
191014 XGEN: How to Obtain the latest the latest Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
You can configure this feature on a single X.400 Connector:
WARNING: If you use the raw mode of the Exchange Server Administrator program (admin /r) incorrectly, serious problems may occur that may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows NT Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, or both. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that result from using raw mode incorrectly can be solved. Use raw mode at your own risk.
- Start the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program in raw mode by typing the following at a command prompt:
- Under Organization, click Site, click Configuration, and then click the Connections container.
- In the right window, click the X.400 Connector that you want to configure to encapsulate SMTP addresses in the RFC-822 DDA.
- On the File menu, click Raw Properties.
- Under List attributes of type, click All. Under Object attributes, click Heuristics.
- In the Edit value box, type 536870912. (This is the decimal equivalent of 0x20000000.)
NOTE: If the Heuristics attribute already has a value, add 536870912 to the existing value.
- Click Set, and then click OK.
- Stop and restart the Exchange Server Message Transfer Agent (MTA) service.
- Test the MTA service.
The X.400 Connector encapsulates SMTP addresses by using the RFC-822 DDA.
Additional query words: MIXER RFC2156
Keywords: kbbug kbexchange550presp4fix kbexchange550sp4fix kbfix kbqfe KB255024