Microsoft KB Archive/254506
Article ID: 254506
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254506
If you open the global address list or the Recipients containers of other sites in your organization, the public folder mailboxes of the other sites may be displayed, even though the Hide from the Address Book option is selected for the public folders.
You can remove the public folder mailboxes of the other site from the Recipients containers and the global address list to lessen the probability of users erroneously sending messages to the public folder mailbox, but to ensure that these mailboxes are not displayed in other sites you need to select the Hide from the Address Book option for intersite replication.
Be aware that if you select the Hide from the Address Book option for intersite replication, users will not be able to post to these public folders by using e-mail messages. To select the Hide from Address Book option so that other sites cannot see the public folders in their Address Book:
- Ensure that the properties for each public folder in question have the Hide from Address Book option selected:
- Select the properties of the public folder.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click to select the Hide from Address Book check box.
NOTE: Ensure that child-level public folders have the same setting. To save time, propagate changes to those child folders:
- Select the top-level folder that you want to hide from the Address Book.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the Hide from Address Book check box.
- Click the General tab, and then click to select the Propagate these properties to all subfolders check box. A subfolder window is displayed; ensure that the Hide from Address Book check box is selected.
- Ensure that the directory service site configuration attributes do not enable the Hide from Address Book option that you set in step 1:
- Open the properties of the directory service site Configuration container.
- Click the Attributes tab.
- In the Configure list, click Inter-site Replication.
- Scroll down to the Hide from AB check box, and then click to select it.
- Make a change to each of the public folders that you want hidden, to ensure that an update is performed during the next replication cycle. You can do this by placing a remark in the Notes box in each folder. If you have multiple folders that require a replication update, you can make one change to the top-level folders, and then propagate that change to the subfolders.
Additional query words: GAL
Keywords: kbinfo KB254506