Microsoft KB Archive/254391
How to Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows 2000 from Booting
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
If a service or device driver is started automatically and is incompatible with the current version of Windows 2000, the service or device driver may not allow Windows 2000 to remain running long enough for you to shut down the service or disable the outdated device driver.
This behavior can occur if hardware or software is installed that installs a device or service that is incompatible with Windows 2000.
To resolve this issue, start Recovery Console and log on to the computer using the following steps:
- Start your computer with the Windows 2000 boot disks, or with the Windows 2000 CD-ROM if your computer supports booting from the CD-ROM drive.
- When the Welcome to Setup dialog box is displayed, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery Console.
- Choose to install Windows 2000 and log on to your computer with the Administrator account.
- From the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder at the command prompt, type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
- Locate the service or driver that is causing the problem in the list that is provided.
NOTE: Selecting the wrong service or device could cause further problems.
- Type disable servicename (where servicename is the name of the service), and then press ENTER.
NOTE: The disable command prints the old start_type of the service before resetting it to SERVICE_DISABLED. You should record the old start_type, in case you need to re-enable the service.
- Type exit, and the computer restarts automatically. Allow the computer to boot normally.
For additional information about installing or using the Recover Console, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q229716 Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
Additional query words:
Keywords : kbenv KBW2KHOME
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbwin2000AdvServ kbwin2000AdvServSearch kbwin2000DataServ kbwin2000DataServSearch kbwin2000Serv kbwin2000ServSearch kbwin2000Search kbwin2000ProSearch kbwin2000Pro kbWinAdvServSearch kbWinDataServSearch
Last Reviewed: October 24, 2000