Microsoft KB Archive/253696
Article ID: 253696
Article Last Modified on 1/10/2006
- Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5
- Microsoft Data Access Components 2.6
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
This article was previously published under Q253696
When you attempt to retrieve data from a URL with ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) version 2.5 and Internet Publishing Provider (MSDAIPP) on Internet Information Server (IIS) version 4.0 (or earlier), you may receive the following error:
The Internet Publishing Provider requires the IIS server to support either the FrontPage Web Extender Client (WEC) or the Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) protocol extensions. These extensions are not supported by default on Internet Information Server version 4.0 or earlier.
There are two ways to resolve this problem:
- Install FrontPage Server Extensions. This provides the IIS server with support for the WEC protocol extensions. For information on FrontPage Server Extensions, refer to MSDN online at the following Web address:
- Upgrade to a newer version of IIS. Both IIS 5.0 and IIS 6.0 support WebDAV.
This behavior is by design.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start a new Visual Basic Standard EXE project. Form1 is added by default.
- In the References option of the project, add the Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library.
Paste the following code in the general declaration section of Form1:
Private Sub Form_Load() Dim Conn as New ADODB.Connection Conn.Open Provider=MSDAIPP.DSO;Data Source=http://MyServer/MyDoc.doc Conn.Close End Sub
- Run the application on a computer that is running Internet Explorer 4.0 (or earlier) without FrontPage Server Extensions installed.
For more information on using the Internet Publishing Provider, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
248501 Use the OLE DB Provider for Internet Publishing from Visual C++
For a complete list of the platforms that are supported by the OLE DB Provider for Internet Publishing, refer to the MSDN article at the following Web address:
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. IIS 6.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Keywords: kbprovider kbdatabase kbprb kbfaq KB253696