Microsoft KB Archive/250845
Article ID: 250845
Article Last Modified on 10/2/2003
- Microsoft Metadirectory Services 2.1
This article was previously published under Q250845
This article describes how to move an installation of Microsoft Metadirectory Services (MMS) from one server to another.
To Move MMS to Another Server
NOTE: You must locate the Zoomserv folder on the same drive letter as on the original server. Therefore, the target MMS server must have the same drive letter available for the Zoomserv folder.
- Install MMS on the new server on the same drive as the original server.
- Stop the new Zoomit Server service by typing the following line at a command prompt:
net stop "zoomit server"
After you use this command, you must wait for up to one minute for all the server resources to be released.
NOTE: You must stop the source server as well as the (new) destination server before the database files can be reliably copied.
- Rename the Zoomserv folder to Zoomserv.old.
- Copy the entire contents of the Zoomserv folder from the original server to the new server.
- Start the Zoomit Server service by typing the following line at a command prompt:
net start "zoomit server"
When the Zoomit Server service starts, the database from the original server is initialized, and the database contains all of the original data. When you log on using Compass, use the original administrator account and password. The server name may or may not be the same, so when you log on with Compass, make sure the correct server name is configured.
For additional information about installing and configuring the Compass client, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
246878 How to Configure a Compass Client to Log On to an MMS Server
The database configuration is stored in the Zoomserv\Data\Config\Db5cfg file. This file defines the location of the following database components:
- db5_reL-db_dir: This is the location of the DB500.* files.
- db5_asn_db_dir: This is the location of the ASN1 database file (X500.DB).
- db5_hash_db_dir: This is the location of the hash files (HASH.DB and HASHWILD.DB).
- db5_tran_db_dir: This is the location of the transaction files (VIATRAN.*).
Additional query words: via
Keywords: kbhowto kbenv KB250845